Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identifying speakers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLØE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identifying speakers
    Posted: 25 September 2020 at 4:28pm
Hey!

I was hoping anyone would know what this is?

https://imgur.com/urNXzEf

Thanks a lot!

Edited by KLØE - 25 September 2020 at 4:29pm
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 6:22pm
I reckon thats a "Mega" box, but where two of the original bullet tweeters have been replaced with piezos.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 6:52pm
Not a Mega cabinet---There are two different types of Piezos fitted and the horn flares are cheap ASS copies--obviously should have a lid fitted on flightcase catches as well.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 7:07pm
With Robbo on that. Looks a bit better than 'home made', but not Mega for sure.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 7:38pm
it looks like somebody has copied the mega bullet box and the mega double 1"
horn box and put them together in one cabinet. I used to have the bullet boxes and I still have the horn boxes. All of the bullets were blown and I only fetched 99p for them empty on ebay. I sold the horns so my horn boxes are empty.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 7:39pm
Those red horns are really bugging me as we ended up with some of them back in the seventies and can't for the life of me remember what source they actually came from.
I can remember that they were really thin and flexed very easily and they were also thinly moulded in fibreglass in that red colour and not sprayed in red after being made----Does anyone have any ideas where they came from?
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 7:48pm
MY original horns were black. these red ones do have a passing resemblance but I have no idea on them. If the OP is looking for any of the round piezos I think I have about 30 of them. They are actually not bad sounding but pretty inefficient.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 8:01pm
Not ASS horns,think they might be Eastmill? I seem to recall seeing those in Eastmill big stage monitors. As John says above, very flimsy construction. Suprised they have survived this long.

The piezos are an afterthought,should be a row of bullets in there.
Be seeing you.
KLØE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLØE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 9:44am
Thanks guys! the reason i asked is because i got a hold of 2x stacks like this

https://imgur.com/a/RQCFqeM

for ca. £250. 

i will update shortly once i have opened them and seen whats inside each one, but so far seems like a good deal to me.

The red ones are fiberglass as you said and they do seem abit flimsy.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 10:10am
The W- bins look like old JBL or Court copies. The mid cabinet i have no idea what that is,maybe is home -made affair?
Be seeing you.
KLØE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLØE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2020 at 5:22am
Sorry for the late reply, forgot i made the thread and found it again now haha

They actually turned out to be mega cabinets from the MTrange. And the tops were loaded with 3x rcf n480 and one unmarked tweeter + some piezos and bullets. The mids had 2x sammi sound drivers and 2x unmarked ones. And the W-Bins had 2x altec 3156, and 1x fane classic kc-300c(got another one of these from the guy who sold it), 1x sammi sr 15aw 400g. everything was in working order except the bullets and piezos. The mids said JOA but havent found any info on them.

I took the top cabs and seperated the horns from the tweeters since they werent working and i can run it just fine with only the compressiom drivers.
I went over them with some woodfiller and fresh paint, replaced some of the wheels that were broken and complimented with 2 scoops that i built(2 more coming!) i put some kappa 15lfa that i had at hand in the wbins and they sound amazing! i know its not the optimal driver for a w bin but im not quite sure what to put in these, any suggestions?
Will also start replacing the other drivers as soon as i got the funds.

Edited by KLØE - 03 November 2020 at 5:29am
KLØE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLØE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2020 at 5:22am
https://imgur.com/a/wVYk1A2

Heres a photo of the stack so far
 Post Reply Post Reply