Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Live band, upgrade tops to match mth30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2020 at 4:55pm
You can look at coaxials with horns, like b&c hcx or fhx, for improved dispersion control. 
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2020 at 4:57pm
But a small reflex pro rig bought used could be the best value for money, unl3ss you score a good deal on drivers or you like the woodworking and diy aspect of it.
ALt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2020 at 6:51pm
Hi, cheers all, lots to think about, rationally second hand decent used too is better idea, but, hey, I'm bored, fancy making something maybe with a different finish than normal...

Did look at coaxial, but to get horizontal dispersion the horns seemed to extend out from woofer, doable but a bid odd looking, and maybe lower horizontal dispersion than conventional horn plus woofer, however if I had the money would seem to make for good stage monitors..

Will make a wedge based on fane 250tc and invest in some better tweeters and build a crossover.. will do on separate thread, where, no doubt I'll be asking for more advceWink cheers all Yin Yang
ALt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2020 at 7:02pm
Sorry, I see the B and C coax horn does not protrude like other I saw ? 18 sound, might have to get a patriae before I could consider one 🤣
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2020 at 9:31pm
who cares what things look like, its a speaker, its primary job is to sound good! For your purpose, its a tried and tested great sounding setup. My personal preference for 'speaker on stick + sub' jobs. Compact, yet does the job. Room acoustics vary so so much between small venues, where generally speaking the crowd density make the biggest difference to your mix.

Also, most self amplifying bands use absolute garbage for PA, so always sound crap. A decent PA in a bad room is going to be a significant improvement over the usual bad PA in a bad room.

Also, hire an engineer. Band member mixes always suck!

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
ALt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2020 at 9:50pm
Ha, yeah, mixing yourself is a proper ballache, used to do live sound for tribute acts.,  Gotta move the faders a fair bit to capture the solos and balance..

We run a ui24r and  tend used to pass the iPad to a Sax players partner. He seemed to know what to do, got chatting later and turned out he used to do the monitors for the who (!!) back in the day. Dave Meredith, really down  to earth lovely guy, sadly these days I have to put in some earbuds and adjust on the fly, not easy ...

Yeah, just fancy  getting away from black/grey boxes, touch of varnish seems nice, some German manufacturer makes a powered sub and top, can't remember the name unfortunately. Just varnished ply, thought they looked greatTongue but probably just me...LOL
ALt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2020 at 9:54pm
Not German, Swiss, they were called, bizzarely, Tim and Tom, odd name, nice looking, bit heavy..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12