Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Posting Compression driver???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Posting Compression driver???
    Posted: 28 September 2020 at 2:46pm
I just tried to post a compression driver and post office would not accept it. 

Apparently magnetic things have to be specially packed with at least 20mm of packing all round.

1). Will that be enough for a large-ish magnet.

2). How did they know, is there a "Magnet detector" in the parcode reader thingy?

Edited by markie - 28 September 2020 at 2:46pm
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2020 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

I just tried to post a compression driver and post office would not accept it. 

Apparently magnetic things have to be specially packed with at least 20mm of packing all round.

1). Will that be enough for a large-ish magnet.

2). How did they know, is there a "Magnet detector" in the parcode reader thingy?

Possibly because Post Office scale pans IME are generally steel, and there would have been the magnetic attracation of your parcel content to the steel pan.
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.

B: An OnlyFans daughter
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2020 at 3:13pm
(from memory) magnetic field strength falls off at the 3rd power of distance from a dipole so even a small increase in packing thickness should greatly reduce the field at the package surface.  I guess they must have a sensor if it wasn't so obvious the driver got stuck to the scales.  All drivers and magnets I have got in the post have not had anything beyond the packing to avoid mechanical damage. 
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2020 at 3:35pm
It didn't stick to the scale so I guess there must be a detector either in Pan or reader.

I've just re-packed with 25mm all round, so I'll advise later.
smithshorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2020 at 4:10pm
Years ago JBL had to break down their shipments because the stray magnetic field they were causing would throw the compass on the planes off!
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2020 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by smithshorn smithshorn wrote:

Years ago JBL had to break down their shipments because the stray magnetic field they were causing would throw the compass on the planes off!

Highly unlikely, and most stuff that heavy and bulky would normally travel by sea in a container
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2020 at 11:17pm
i heard the magnetic fields amplify 5G and cause Covid. 
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2020 at 11:31pm
 I sent a pair of 18" drivers via the post office a few weeks ago, the only complaints I had were from the woman in the post office about how heavy the box was!
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2020 at 1:12am
I can put this to rest. Apparently I used the wrong option on the prepaid online service.

I usually use the signed for service that you hand in at a post office. On this particular parcel I used the tracked option which can only be handed in at a GPO sorting office. That was why the post office could not accept it. Nothing to do with the magnets, it was to do with the barcode.

smithshorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2020 at 4:42pm
The information I posted came straight from JBL in a History of JBLbooklet.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2020 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

i heard the magnetic fields amplify 5G and cause Covid. 

It's a little known fact that the "Man on the grassy knoll" used a magnetic bullet. The bullet was attracted to the car body hence changed direction.
 Post Reply Post Reply