Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Listening party system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Listening party system
    Posted: 28 September 2020 at 4:16pm
Hi there,

I've been asked to build a small system for an album listening party, nothing too big, it should fill a small room with around 30-50 people. The music will mainly be bass heavy left field and grime.

Not really sure where to start on this, I can put the cabs together fine as I'm a chippy by trade, but I don't know what speakers to select and start building!

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

S
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2020 at 5:26pm
Hehe. What's your budget? Given the application I could suggest all sorts of fancy things, but if you've only got 50p and a Curly-Wurly it'll just put you off LOL
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2020 at 5:32pm
Too much bass will cause the needle to bounce!  LOL

Maybe start by reading a bit in the Newbie section - or take a look at some commercial systems. Something like 2 x 10"/12" satellites and a 15" bass bin. Bass reflex to keep it simple.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2020 at 9:12pm
A pair of decent hifi speakers will do the job. But as you say 30-50, I assume you are not in the uk.

FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2020 at 6:48pm
Something like this:

Or if you can find them, a set of JBL SRX738.

I can vouce for Amate Audio. They sound brilliant!
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2020 at 10:00am
I'd go for 8" coaxials and a good 12" ported sub. Nice and simple.

Got any equipment so far? What's the budget?

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2020 at 10:20am
Besides of the system, also pay lots of attention to room acoustics. you can have the best system around but when the bass is bouncing all over the place and so on the experience will be ruined. some well placed thick drapes will be a good start. 

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2020 at 1:12pm
"What's the budget?"

Yes, that's a good point. With a bit of luck, you could pick up something decent 2nd hand for a lot less than the build would cost.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 5:46pm
Budget is one thing, time is another. Do you have enough time to research, acquire, building and finish the cabs? If not, it may be better and generally far cheaper to hire in.
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 6:05pm
hire it or buy second hand pro kit. hire it if its olny one event, any basic powered 2x full range/2xsub will be great for that and not need all the extra waste of time.

@ digbethdave, why do you presume he is not in the uk? Con-rona? lol..... its says London in his title sooooooooo............

Edited by Noyzmunky - 06 October 2020 at 6:07pm
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
 Post Reply Post Reply