Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beginner Hog Scoop setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sulov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginner Hog Scoop setup
    Posted: 15 October 2020 at 3:28pm
Hello all, 

As I've had hard time finding some information in this forum I would like to ask few questions, 
Currently I've build two hog scoop enclosures and already ordered B&C 18tbx100 drivers, as I've read they are good all-round cabs and would be good choice to jumpstart this project. SS will be used both for small warehouse parties and as a learning experience for me. Music of choice is mostly DNB and DUB

1. As this is not totally clear to me, I understand that more hogs=higher SPL for the lowest of frequencies, the most common suggestion is to build 4 scoops as in this quantity they offer most efficiency. So should I consider building two more straight away? Are 2 scoops enough to start with? What kind of losses should I expect by staying with only two rather than 4?

2. I would like to hear your suggestions about what should I put on top the hogs, currently my idea of it is to build 2x ES18BPH(probably electrikal plans), alongside with that cab I would pickup B&C 18PS100 speakers as they are available for me where I live and heard that they will do the job in this enclosure. If you have any other speaker suggestion from B&C I'll be happy to hear. 

I'm open for discussion, came here to learn so I'm willing to change my mind.

Best Regards and thanks in advance!

fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2020 at 3:51am
2 hogs will work fine, you do not need to use them in stacks of 4. I regularly use 2 hogs to cover around 100 people, it is plenty of power for a small venue.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2020 at 3:32pm
Yes, even 2 hogs will give good amount of bass to cover smaller growds. But having 4 or more stacked, you get more directivity and stronger "power alley" down low because of increased frontal/radiating area. Good thing if playing bigger outdoor parties.

I have 2 hogs too (RCF LF18X400 drivers) and have heard 4, 6 and 8 stacked. 
2 is surprisingly good, 4 is a lot stronger and 8 is brutal and gives strong bass sensations far from the stack.

Equalization / DSP work is required to get good results.

Post Reply Post Reply