Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quick port question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick port question
    Posted: 24 November 2020 at 9:55pm
I have a quick port question, are circular, triangular or under driver slot ports best? The driver will be the RCF LF18X401, cabinet tuned to 36hz and i'll be powering a pair with a bridged QSC RMX4050HD giving the subs a combined 4k.

I was just curious, thanks.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2020 at 8:08am
In you case probably square or triangular as this will usually yield larger ports on a sub. With all that power you want them big to avoid chuffing and port compression.

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2020 at 9:43am
Well, it depends... round ports will give you the least amount of port chuffing for its cross area (triangular the most). However, fitting such round ports in a box with enough length can become difficult. Also note that getting the right length with triangular and slot ports is difficult with programs like winISD an hornresp.
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2020 at 9:52am
I've been looking at pro manufacturers subs and virtually all of them either have triangular at the top and bottom sides or rectandle slot ports at the bottom of on one side. Am I right in saying the lower the cabinet tuning along with the higher the xmax of the drivers and the more power the drivers will be subjected to the bigger the ports will be needed?
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2020 at 10:36am
The main reason for using triangular ports is to save some space and bracing, yet it comes at a cost of extra losses in the port. And yes, you will need bigger ports when shifting more air.
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2020 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

And yes, you will need bigger ports when shifting more air.

I thought so, well rectangle ports are the way to go then I think, has anyone actually heard or felt the RCF LF18X401 driver? I mean as in has anyone had experience with how much air the driver can move and how much pressure on your stomach of chest it can put. 
 Post Reply Post Reply