Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows XP !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

XP Compatibility mode cannot run 16bit binaries on 64bit versions of windows as they don’t support WOW16.

OK, forget compatibility mode, just go via VM.

I just think starting point should be Windows 10 x64 i5 machine, with SSD, and at least 8gb ram, and DELL Windows COA.

You can then install Windows XP in VM, and go from there.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 9:14am
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Originally posted by Sinai Sound Sinai Sound wrote:

Can potentially sort you a HP machine that you could put XP on

Thanks for the offer ... but that scenario has gone away now. Had to bite the bullet and organise a somwewhat newer machine that can take win7 32-bit. Thats gonna have diferent hassles though :-/

Just curious though - what did you jave in mind ? PC with the original OEM XP disk ? Still not sure if that would actually activate at the time of install ... and then there'd be a possibillty of it wanting to re-activate if any hardware changes are made. Pah !

HP Machine with Vista license on top, but if you use their old HP OEM XP restore disc (which I've slipstreamed SP3 and latest updates to in the past) it activates without even being connected to the internet, or even entering a product key. 

HP XW4600 workstation in question here. 
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

XP Compatibility mode cannot run 16bit binaries on 64bit versions of windows as they don’t support WOW16.

VM. Windows 10 x64 i5 machine, with SSD, and at least 8gb ram, and DELL Windows COA.

?? Why use a VM ? How does that help with activation ?

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

VM. Windows 10 x64 i5 machine, with SSD, and at least 8gb ram, and DELL Windows COA.

?? Why use a VM ? How does that help with activation ?

Is a trivial thing, to patch SLIC ACPI  table in VirtualBox VM, 
so Windows XP /7 x64 auto activates.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2020 at 11:25am
Ah OK - didn't know that ... never got around to tinkering with VM's really.

Anyway - an update to this litle scenario in the unlikely event someone else gets into the situation.

I was having a look inside some winxp iso's I have - and ... BOOM !! The XP Home iso I have turns out to be a Dell OEM one - with the necessary stuff to auto-activate (and not require a key) - and - guess what - the machine is a Dell :-) :-) So yup - worked perfectly and that machine is now hunky dory with XP instead of Win7 x86 - which is what I wanted.

Dunno if <cough cough> anyone might be willing to share a HP OEM CD iso - then between him and me we'll have Dell and HP covered for XP (I'm happy to share the Dell one) :-)

Now I need to turn attention to my trusty Asus eeePC901 - which still works very well (with XP) to run Virtual DJ ver7 home - does everything I want for playing reggae (i.e. no beat-matching kind of stuff reqd.) and my little VDJ script thingys assign function keys to siren, screechy sound, gunshots, hooter etc. and B does a bass cut, C brings bass back in, R does a decent enough pseudo rewind .... Works very well on batteries - good life with ethernet, bluetooth, wi-fi all disabled.

The Asus netbook runs XP (already activated) also - need to find a way to back up its c: partition. Its on built-in SSD, so can't take the drive out and image it on another machine. If I can scare up a older version of Acronis that'll boot from a USB stick - should be do-able.

Edited by slaz - 22 December 2020 at 11:29am
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2020 at 12:00pm
I remember, when I had the time, to screw around with old computers,  and ancient software, unnecessarily. 

Then life got easier, when I didn't bother with software or hardware, that was a headache.
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2020 at 9:42pm
https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

Download the iso and createa boot usb stick with rufusn

Included in hirens is Lazesoft image creator.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 3:36am

I remember, when I had the time, to screw around with old computers,  and ancient software, unnecessarily. 

Then life got easier, when I didn't bother with software or hardware, that was a headache.

Well I know what you mean - but .....

Modern s/w .... heh - not too long ago I tried to use the current version of Acronis - barfed on just duplicating a partition - pah ! Plenty of  bloat and bells + whistles - shame they don't feckin work. And there's plenty of examples like that I can think of. Mouth and no trousers syndrome - for marketing purposes.

Modern laptops ... with non-swappable batteries ? Eck ! .... and you have to dismantle the thing to plug in a stick of memory ??? Rubbish. A Dell Inspiron (coupla years old) I encountered was put together with the most ludicrous screw (just ONE of them) had a head that I just didn't have a screwdriver for - even after asking matey over the road who has just about every conceivable type/size of screwdriver. ... stupidly tiny cross-head. I just had to give up on upgrading the memory. Pah.

I'll carry on using that ancient litle Asus "netbook" with its 9" screen, Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, winxp for as long as I can. It ain't broke, so I ain't gonna fix it. It works like a champ for its purpose (it doesn't do anything else) and has done for years.
The context is playing out through - well I suppose you'd call it a baby sound system - totally off-grid, so battery power needs to last. With the eeePC I can play all day and half the night with the 3 batteries I can swap out.

slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 3:41am
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

Download the iso and createa boot usb stick with rufusn

Included in hirens is Lazesoft image creator.

Oh yeah - forgot about rufus ... that should do it.  Getting old :-/ (I mean me - not rufus).

fsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2022 at 9:29am
most program now dont work on windows xp but if you still want then get micro xp , very little size that your pc will become very very fast
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12