Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid tops for 2x Cubo 12 + Cubo kick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2020 at 11:02pm
I'd already taken a look at that thread. What about drivers? 
I remember reading somewhere maybe later in that very thread that the THAM 15 as a true horn is designed with a specific driver in mind. 
Would I be able use the eminence kappa pro lf in it or something similarly priced?
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 10:11am
I understand the appeal of having a stack of speakers it looks impressive. 

On the other hand, if you consider the expense of six mediocre transducers, lets say 400-600 €, you could instead just buy ONE high-grade woofer, which would rock your house parties and small events completely, and would go low enough. 

Sure, it doesnt look as impressive as a big heap of loudspeakers, but it is a lot easier, and more foolproof. 

When you build six cabinets, you have to consider that not only you will need more wood, but also six cables instead of one, six connectors instead of one, etc....... six times the amount of work and testing, and you will have six potential sources of mistakes and failures instead of one.

With six cabinets, and running two way bass, you also have to be extra careful not to make mistakes such as inverted polarity.

My advice is: get one proper woofer, make a reflex box, and get two 12" tops and put them on stands. Quality over looks Wink it will be easier to set up and tune, and probably sound better from the start.

Check out user "crashpc" projects with B&C 18DS115 and 21DS115.
Amplifier wise any mid/low-priced classH amp will get you going...... 
TA2400, proline3000, Crest CA or any similar 400- 600w/channel in bridge mode should be enough for a start.

Edited by bob4 - 23 December 2020 at 10:13am
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 10:16am
Also, check out Marjan Milosevic on this forum, he hads a professional loudspeaker manufacturing company, geographically relatively close to you, and could maybe help you and/or sell drivers. 

Yes, that grumpy guy LOLWink
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 12:50pm
For that money, build something like a TH-18 (Xoc1) or a paraflex loaded with 18SW/18DS or similar drivers. If funds allow, build another one in the future.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 1:14pm
Also, horn loaded mt112 tops don't make any sense for small applications such as yours ..... 
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 3:24pm
Have you heard how much noise you can make with a decent simple reflex rig? 

A single tapped horn or paraflex 18 and modern driver 12 reflex tops will go loud enough to upset the neighbours and get the police turning up to a houseparty. LOL

Edited by JonB67 - 23 December 2020 at 3:34pm
KaphaSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaphaSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 5:46pm
OP what kind of music are you looking to play anyhow? I understand the desire for horn loaded (efficiency + visual appeal) but for a horn to stand up to the test of all genres it really needs to be fairly big to go low. Maybe also look into the keystone sub I believe it has a pretty low response and is decently compact at the cost of some sensitivity but for small gigs it should still be more than enough.

Edited by KaphaSound - 23 December 2020 at 5:49pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by KaphaSound KaphaSound wrote:

Maybe also look into the keystone sub I believe it has a pretty low response and is decently compact....

Decently compact? Maybe for a tapped horn..... 
67 x 67 x 114 = 400 litres for a single 18" 

The thread title is cubo 12 LOL

Although, a single keystone might indeed be more compact than four cubo12 and two cubo kicks
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 8:28pm
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2020 at 10:56am
As mentioned before, starting out, keep it simple. If you're wondering whether you need a DCX or basic crossover you're not ready for a 4way system. Please don't take that the wrong way. Advice on this forum is to get you to the point where you're happy with the sound you create, don't have loads of headaches over it and your audience love it as well. 

It's a steep, frustrating and enjoyable learning curve. I can second the Tham 15s, I often only put 190w into mine and they make a sound thats fine for 50 people, when I put 600 - 1000w amp on them they really work. They go low enough for my needs and they have a decent kick to them. At the size of crowd you're playing for, If the music needs a bit more kick to it, this can easily be put in with a bit of EQ. A complete dedicated box will just add to your costs.

Again, rather than spending money on an average sub speaker and amp and an average kick speaker and amp, spend the same amount of money on good quality bass speaker that will do both and a good quality amp. They will last longer and sound better...

Either a tapped horn or reflex will do you fine for now and as you expand as well.
blah blah blah blah blah......
shashnatiq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2020 at 6:23pm
Okay well we do not want to do it just to have sound for our house parties. I just find this learning experience extremely interesting and do not mind building extra cabinets or having to worry about phase cancellation or whatever else. 
I know I might be out of my waters but learning is fun and why I want to do this in the first place.

Someone asked what music would be played - mostly techno with some drumm and bass possibly.
Also scrap whatever I said for the house parties originally we decided we are going to go for something bigger.

I can see why having 2 cubo 15s would not be such a good idea compared to a single bigger sub. 
Lets say that size is not an issue up to the point where the whole thing can fit into a normal sized van or 2 cars.

Would it be better to go for a single 18 inch sub than the 2 15s? And invest money into a better driver instead of getting 2 cheaper ones?

Is the Cubo Sub or Cubo 18 good? Is there another design that would be better?
The drivers for each sub should not be more than the cost of 2x the ones we were going to use so that is around 360 euro each.

Also how does powering a single 18 compare to powering the 2 15 inch drivers we were going to use?
We were planning to power them using a behringer NU6000, and connect them parallel in pairs one for each channel at 4 ohms.
Can we still use this amplifier for the 2 18s?

EDIT: I searched the forums and found these drivers to be recommended for the Cubo Sub both available at thomann at a good price.
Eighteen Sound 18LW1400 / 4 and 8 ohm versions
Fane Colossus Prime 18XS 8 ohm
Should we go for a couple of them instead of the 4 15s?
Then a Cubo 15 kick on top, and mt121s.
In the future we may build 2 more subs if you think the tops and the kickbin are too much for a single sub.

Edited by shashnatiq - 24 December 2020 at 8:06pm
KaphaSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaphaSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2020 at 3:50am
A bunch to unpack and I’m still quite new here so take this for whatever it’s worth but essentially it’s hard to get 15s to play low although not impossible. For drum & bass there are tracks that can go as far down as 30hz or below but that’s rare; still mid 30s is probably a good target. In this case an 18 is more likely to suit your needs and at 360 euros you should be able to find some decent B&C 18 drivers like the 18tbx100. I think Cubos can be great kick bins but that’s just it no matter what size driver you squeeze in there don’t expect it to put out consistent levels below 45-50hz. The new paraflex stuff seems quite interesting although potentially heavy but full plans readily available and these should push you down to ~35hz or so. Again I’m quite new but the Behringer amps seem to get mixed reviews as far as reliability goes but an NU6000 should theoretically be plenty to power 2 18s and likely even 4 18s if two drivers are wired in parallel either side for a 4 ohm load although you likely won’t be pushing them to their max output (still loud though).

Edited by KaphaSound - 25 December 2020 at 3:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12