Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tannoy 12" Gold and Amp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeakyBlinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tannoy 12" Gold and Amp
    Posted: 22 December 2020 at 7:00am
Morning All

I am new to the group, a lover of music but very much a novice when it comes to speakers & amps.

I recently acquired a pair of Tannoy 12" Monitor gold which I have now had fitted into a custom made twin cab (due to space and the original cabs being water damaged)

I have a Denon PMA520AE amp and was wanting to check the compatibility between the two (I have read dozens of website and really do not understand it!) and whether to wire them in serial or parallel?

Hope someone can help.

Merry Christmas to you all, and I look forward to hearing from you

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2020 at 9:23am
Have you got the original crossovers? You really need to use them connected to their crossovers. If not I think that you can get modern copies.

Each speaker is a woofer & HF driver combined. Do you inderstand that?

Then, connect each speaker to it's crossover - and use 2 input connectors to the amp - one per channel. So pseudo-stereo. Don`t connect the 2 speakers together!

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
PeakyBlinder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeakyBlinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2020 at 9:58am
Morning

Many thanks for the quick response!

Yes the speakers are attached to crossovers (not the originals), and no unfortunately I do not understand the 'Each speaker is a woofer & HF driver combined' sorry!

The custom cab only has one dual binding post connection box and was thinking of attaching to additional brass connectors to the rear of the plate and connecting the speakers separately to them. (sorry will not let me attach an image)

re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2020 at 11:09am
You really should put these in a proper cabinet, these will not sound as good as they can do in double cabinet. 
Lockwood audio should be able to help with a cabinet.
If not there are lots of designs to be found online, and lots of suitable used tannoy cabinets that people have taken the drivers from. The best option would be getting some custom made.

If not I'd suggest selling the drivers and buying already complete cabs or even an active hifi.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeakyBlinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2020 at 11:21am
Hi re-production.

Yes appreciate your comments, but at present I am not in a position financially to purchase Lockwoods (have have spoken to them and had a demo, they sound brilliant) this is just a stop gap.

The drivers were inherited from a family member who was a well know session guitarist back in the 60's in Sheffield we do not want to let them go Smile
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2020 at 11:42am
Originally posted by PeakyBlinder PeakyBlinder wrote:

Morning

Many thanks for the quick response!

Yes the speakers are attached to crossovers (not the originals), and no unfortunately I do not understand the 'Each speaker is a woofer & HF driver combined' sorry!

The custom cab only has one dual binding post connection box and was thinking of attaching to additional brass connectors to the rear of the plate and connecting the speakers separately to them. (sorry will not let me attach an image)

Ok -  as long as you don't mess with the (original) connection between the speaker and crossover you should be ok.

Each speaker is actually 2 - a woofer and integral high frequency driver as well. The crossover separates the frequencies for each driver - (and adds some eq as well).

Just add the extra binding post and connect one side of the amp to one and the other side to the other!

Good luck - and enjoy. They are very nice speakers.   Smile

Edited by Earplug - 22 December 2020 at 11:43am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeakyBlinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 6:58am
Cheers for the guidance and explanation, they still sound great in this cab.

Do you know if there is anyway of finding the year they were made, they have serial numbers stamped on them.

Thanks
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 10:17am
Aah - yes, there are a couple of sites for vintage Tannoy stuff.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply