Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question crossover (8 Ohm to 4 ohm)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question crossover (8 Ohm to 4 ohm)
    Posted: 01 January 2021 at 8:41pm
I have som really well built passive crossovers for 1 JBL 2226H 8 Ohm LF driver and 1 JBL 2426H 8 ohm HF driver.

As seen on picture it has totally seperated  separate HF and LF PCB cards.

I have many sets of these crossovers.

Here is the deal I want to try using this for dual 15" (+ HF driver) cabs. Problem is of course the LF section of these crossovers are 8 Ohms and when 2 15" I need it to be 4 Ohm.

Since the HF and LF are on seperated PCB cards can I use 1 pcs LF PCB to each woofer in the dual 15" cabs? Would this work?

I know there is much more to it like damping, sensitivity etc but am I thinkring right regarding the resistance of the 15" and using 2 seperate LF cards to each woofer?

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2021 at 1:47pm
Yes, using one LF card per woofer will get you roughly the "normal" response you're used to having from single 15" driver boxes.

You'll find that the pair of 15's will likely outrun the HF, so you must take that into account, and there will be some comb filtering between the 15's in the vertical axis that may or may not matter to you, depending on what the actual crossover frequency is, and how much you care about even coverage.
 Post Reply Post Reply