Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help needed to delet files with long filename / pa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help needed to delet files with long filename / pa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help needed to delet files with long filename / pa
    Posted: 07 January 2021 at 12:40am
Have some directories that I wanted to transfer to another HD, but had a large number of
files left over when the move/copy failed due to the path length/filename being too long.

Here are a couple of examples:

++++
J:\mp3 dvd\_Mutz 2018\MutzNutz Music Pack 107 2018\The Clash - Discography\Studio Albums\1979 - London Calling (25th Anniversary Legacy Edition)\London Calling - 25th Anniversary Legacy Edition, The Vanilla Tapes (Disc 2)\06 - Koka Kola, Advertising & Cocaine.mp3
++++
J:\mp3 dvd\_Mutz 2018\MutzNutz Music Pack 156 2018\Partybreaks and Remixes - All In One October 001 (2018)\10. Jonny Laz _ Justin Timberlake Vs. David Guetta - Can't Stop The Feeling (Jonny Laz Vs. Dexterous Fmif Edit) (Jonny Laz Vs. Dexterous Fmif Edit)[Clean].mp3
++++

I managed to copy the files by copying them to archives using WinRAR and then moving
the RAR files to the target directory and extracting the files, but that still left me with
the original files/directories.

I deleted almost all of those by adding them to an archive uisn WinRAR and using the
'delete file after archiving' option, but that left me with just the one directory-path to get
rid of - and that's the first one, The Clashes 'Vanilla Tapes.'

Ideas welcome, 'cos I am completely stumped here.

Oh! Running Windows 8.1 here

Edited by BJtheDJ - 07 January 2021 at 12:41am
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 1:49pm
Hmm, I'm on win7 and it's happy to delete folders with such long names natively, surprising that the later win8 struggles with that.

Are you sure you hadn't previously used some option to lock or protect those folders?

Anyhoo, I do have a small utility called Eraser that also seems to cope too, you may want to try that?

Edited by DMorison - 07 January 2021 at 1:51pm
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Hmm, I'm on win7 and it's happy to delete folders with such long names natively, surprising that the later win8 struggles with that.

Are you sure you hadn't previously used some option to lock or protect those folders?[//quote]
Yes, certain.
[quote]Anyhoo, I do have a small utility called Eraser that also seems to cope too, you may want to try that?

Thank you for the program.

I ran it but the tree is still there, but I can not now access the final folder which is now empty.  Tells me that I need Admin permission which I have and have applied.
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
 Post Reply Post Reply