Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Total Rookie Wants To Build Cabs - Tool Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECATINTHEHAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 10:28pm
Its as much about the project as anything else so wont be buying pre-made.

Link the designs that you are recommending.
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by THECATINTHEHAT THECATINTHEHAT wrote:

Its as much about the project as anything else so wont be buying pre-made.

Link the designs that you are recommending.

You having difficulty with Google?
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 8:39pm

I have a makita cordless drill.  Can I get away with cheaping out on this bosch router bearing in mind I'm only ever going to use it for building a few cabs?
...and this Erbauer plunge saw with rails?
That router works fine, and it has the circle attachment.
Erbauer also good.

Look after your tools and you can sell them when you've finished.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2021 at 9:11am
When buying try to leverage cost vs quality. if you want to build a small rig and afterwards use the gear simply around the house Parkside from Lidl can't be beaten. but when using semiprofessional you'll regret buying it fast. 

I buld my first pair of mt212 using only a jigsaw and a cordless screwdriver and they functioned for years despite looking really really ghetto :) 
at the moment i'm using a jigsaw, tracksaw, router and cordless screwdriver. all second hand or from lidl but it costed less than 120 euro and for that money works flawlessly. the router was the best investment though, makes everything looks juist a tad more less ghetto. 

instead of buying clamps one can also use ratchets and straps with some extra wood between the box and the strap to clamp everything down.
THECATINTHEHAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECATINTHEHAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 4:09pm
Lol, see you still havent become any less of a sanctimo ious old lady flaps Tongue

I wasnt slating him at all, not sure where you got that from. As i said we are also having this discussion on another forum. Limely the teason we didagree is because his knowledge is contemporary whereas mine is based on what sounded best when i was going out tegular 15 years ago and is within my capabilities.
THECATINTHEHAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECATINTHEHAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by KDW32 KDW32 wrote:

So me and soundboy been talking about this on a different site, he doesn't like the hd15s but I really rate them and as there will be a lot of techno coming out of the system if I make it the kick they produce really works for it. My plan was to make six to start with to get the coupling benefits (would rather start with four but if you need six for the coupling to kick in....). Opinions?

You insulting Adrian's Wall there? Yeah he's right HD not the best of kicks at all. If you really want something that looks similar but sounds decent  there's a lot more free designs out there. block of es18s etc.

Or should I just do as soundman suggested elsewhere and just build a big stack of 15" reflex bins tuned to 42hz and put decent mid tops above them?

That's a nice easy cheap way to build, learn and get good results. It's good advice for a first build.

Wouldn't go for x10s you probably be able to find some decent pro brand that's good, built in amps second hand in marketplace for the price of your  self  build mid tops. Yamaha DXR 12s go silly cheap these days. Or for non active Sherman stuff going cheap keeps popping up. 

How on earth did you manage to get me insylting adrian from what ive written?

Ah, I didnt realise it was you wilson, nice to see youre still the same sanctominous old lady flaps you always were. I mean what kind of a muppet names their soundsystem after a drug that has destroyed the lives of thousands of their contemporaries? Says it all really.

So i had a bereavement yesterday and just impulse bought a load of shit (got an arturia minbrute for £145 in ebay which is a good score), i was in b&q and they had the bosh router and the erbaurer (sp?) plunge saw but didnt sell the guide rails. They did however have a cheap macallister plunge saw of 1200w compared to the 1400w of the erbauer at £100 with the rails so i thought it and bought it. Will this actually have the oomph to cut through marine ply? If not ill just return it, i do expect it to be shit but as long as it can be expected to make it through building a small setup then im cool with it and will upgrade later
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 6:30pm
Just listen to the motor as you go. If it sounds unhappy, go slower with it. Should be fine.
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2021 at 11:06pm
Fit a 165mm blade from a bosch plunge saw:  It has 48 teeth, 1.8mm kerf, and each tooth will have tungsten carbide tips four times larger than the blade you've got.
That means it runs smoother, quicker, cooler and more quietly through the wood, and gives you an edge good enough to butt join, should you have to.

I did the same to a cheapo parkside saw, and ran it on festool rails, it was top quality for about a third the price.  Sold it for good money too when I bought a bigger saw.

KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2021 at 1:06am

Originally posted by KDW32 KDW32 wrote:

So me and soundboy been talking about this on a different site, he doesn't like the hd15s but I really rate them and as there will be a lot of techno coming out of the system if I make it the kick they produce really works for it. My plan was to make six to start with to get the coupling benefits (would rather start with four but if you need six for the coupling to kick in....). Opinions?

You insulting Adrian's Wall there? Yeah he's right HD not the best of kicks at all. If you really want something that looks similar but sounds decent  there's a lot more free designs out there. block of es18s etc.

Or should I just do as soundman suggested elsewhere and just build a big stack of 15" reflex bins tuned to 42hz and put decent mid tops above them?

That's a nice easy cheap way to build, learn and get good results. It's good advice for a first build.

Wouldn't go for x10s you probably be able to find some decent pro brand that's good, built in amps second hand in marketplace for the price of your  self  build mid tops. Yamaha DXR 12s go silly cheap these days. Or for non active Sherman stuff going cheap keeps popping up. 

How on earth did you manage to get me insylting adrian from what ive written?

Calling him a sound boy 🤣 was joking as you probably don't know the meaning. 

Ah, I didnt realise it was you nice to see youre still the same sanctominous old lady flaps

Sorry your so easily riled. You don't have to project. This is nice website and you'll learn alot. Try to keep the squatjuice vibes off here.

So i had a bereavement yesterday 

Rip your pet rabbit. Hope you're build goes and please upload photos of your progress. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12