Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help setting crossover points for 3 way  midtops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help setting crossover points for 3 way midtops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help setting crossover points for 3 way midtops
    Posted: 23 February 2021 at 1:45pm
Hi guys.

I'm putting my first system together and I acquired these midtops today.
They were manufactured by Oberton, a driver manufacturer from my country. 

They are 15" + 8" + 1" bi-amped, the 8 inch and tweeter have an internal crossover.
What I am confused about is the way he told me he had them setup.

He had the 15 inch crossed at 80hz from his subs, and ran it all the way up to 750hz. 
At the same time the signal that was going to the 8 inch and tweeter was 250 hz to 20khz. 

Unforunately I am very inexperienced and have no measuring equipment and lack knowledge to set these correctly. 

However from my limited understanding, the way he had them crossed over at his processor is not good as the 15 inch and 8 inch might have phase cancellation issues, and also the 15 inch will be less efficient while reproducing a wider bandwith.

What are your thoughts? I know this is a less than ideal situation but I have to set the crossovers without proper measuring equipment and inexperienced ears. Should I leave it the way he was running it?

And also, if I am right that they were not set up correctly, would this have damaged the 15 inch drivers in any way (sorry if this is a dumb quesiton)

Thanks for any help, I know I'm totally lost Big smile

This is them for anyone intersted, though the lighting is bad 

Edited by shashnatiq - 23 February 2021 at 4:00pm
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 4:38pm
Nice looking mids. I would just change the 15s to cut off at 250hz instead of 750hz as a starting point. Nothing wrong with setting the points by ear as long as they are within their operating range. You can then tweak things to what sounds best for you. 
sarsen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarsen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 4:50pm
If they are based off a Funktion One Res 2 (although look more like res 4 with a 15" lf driver) this might help: Funktion-One | Crossover Settings | Resolution 2 (funktion-one.com)

Would be unusual to overlap the 15" and the 8" like that but wouldn't have thought it would damage the driver. 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 5:43pm
they look useful. don't be afraid to experiment with the 15" settings. wouldn't bring the high pass of the 8s down any lower than you were told though, to be safe.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 10:49pm
Running the 15 higher won't hurt anything but running the 8" too low may damage it. The Res4 which looks similar cuts the 8" at 450hz so that might be a good place to start. 
shashnatiq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 2:37pm
Thanks for the input guys. I'll set the 15 inch cutoff to 250 hz for now as a starting point, and will tweak it if needed in the future once I learn more about measuring.
 Post Reply Post Reply