Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Advantages of a standard 2-way reflex vs coaxial
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advantages of a standard 2-way reflex vs coaxial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2021 at 6:37am
My thinking is that not being able to freely taior hf dispersion and lf extension to your potential needs when designing the speaker would be one thing to consider, you will effectivly be locked into the hf/lf system properties as it where, on the other hand, if what ever is given in that regard works for you then fine, I would assume that a coax is a great choise in many aspects.

How would you say that the true pointsource characteristics of a carefully processed coax comes through with regards to soundquality? And is this a real world significant advantage compared to more traditional 2-way approaches?

Edited by martinsson - 27 February 2021 at 6:44am
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2021 at 10:13am
There are many coaxials with HF flares to chose from.
So controlling dispersion is not a problem. 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2021 at 10:29am
Most of which suffer from significant colouration from reflections and refraction from the waveguide directly infront of the low/mid cone. BMS try to negate this with absorbent material on the back side of the HF waveguide but it is still there. The only unit i have heard that works well, to a point, is the BMS tri-ax which can use a lower x over between the low and mid device.

“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2021 at 4:24pm
There is the possibility of using a coax inside a waveguide to control dispersion, although usual horn rules apply so not perfect.

BMS recently launched a version of their 5" coax (and a new 8") with a beefed up 80w compression driver, so now possible to get HF to keep up with hornloaded MF....  if TS work out for hornloading?
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2021 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by I-shen Soundboy I-shen Soundboy wrote:

There is the possibility of using a coax inside a waveguide to control dispersion, although usual horn rules apply so not perfect.

BMS recently launched a version of their 5" coax (and a new 8") with a beefed up 80w compression driver, so now possible to get HF to keep up with hornloaded MF....  if TS work out for hornloading?

Thats an interesting idea.

I have a pair of Beyma 12xm (spec. below):

https://ibb.co/vcvNy4c

The hf on these drivers is so efficient that it has to be padded down by perhaps 8dB on the passive crossover for the driver (max. attenuation available), and I find that the hf is still too loud. So the system eq. has to be attenuated above the crossover point (1.6K) to compensate.

Maybe the driver could be mounted in a box with a front horn on it (a bit like a small version of a jbl 4560) to increase the efficiency of the 12" driver?

Would make an efficient, reasonably compact point source mid- top box?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2021 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Yes, in my experience, coaxials (rarely) have good bass response. Even the 15" versions.

Ok if you are just looking for a decent mid/top, but not for going below 60/70Hz.

You need to hear the BMS triax. You will ask where the sub is hidden.

So it digs deep enough, but does it do a nice midrange at the same time?

800Hz crossover point.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Zeno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2021 at 10:33pm
I used to have Tannoy Dual Concentric speakers for my cabinets, brilliant. However, these could no longer deliver the required, increasingly extreme levels without having to be reconed after one night. That's why, when the BMS Coaxial driver came out, I switched to a Triax system. Here I can go up to 700 Hz with the crossover frequency. This is possible because I use the speaker grille as a back for the horn. The horn itself remains completely free. For bass I use the PAS 2580C. Despite the small cabinet, it is possible to achieve a massive bass foundation. For the most of the indoor applications I have, I would definitely not want to do without the point source. In addition, it is often advantageous not to have to place a bass on the floor. This avoids the transmission of low frequencies to the residents.

fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2021 at 11:17pm
The Martin Audio drivers from the CDD range are really good examples of decent coax driver, I think they sound great but good luck getting any for DIY use.

The coax drivers I have always had problems with are the ones with horns for the CD in front of the paper cone like the post above, there are always issues at crossover points with those types of coax where the horn wont load low enough to cover the bit that the woofer wont go high enough to cover because the horn is in the way.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
madam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2021 at 7:32am
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

The Martin Audio drivers from the CDD range are really good examples of decent coax driver, I think they sound great but good luck getting any for DIY use.

Martin CDD’s are super. The coverage is extremely even with it!
You can get replacement drivers from jansen.nz, but normally one needs cabinet + speaker serial number to get a replacement driver.

I just bought a pair of Martin Audio XE300 drivers.
Custom made B&C coax, just as the Nexo P12.
Both produces 140dB on paper. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12