Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What wood to line a van with?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What wood to line a van with?
    Posted: 04 March 2021 at 7:48am
Just got our new rig van and need to line it with wood. Normally I would just use 18mm that around the workshop but weight is a significant worry with the amount of rig that will be going in.

I'm wondering if I can get away with 9mm birch or even something lighter like cheap building ply.

Also any tips for securing it so it doesn't move around? I was thinking cut as close to size as possible and use a silicone or similar sealant to hold it in place. Need to get this sorted over the weekend so sooner I get an answer the better really.

Edited by fat_brstd - 04 March 2021 at 8:52am
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 8:04am
Paulownia is a very light wood. It is a bit soft as well, so would probably benefit from a thin plywood shell in places that are subject to wear......
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 8:42am
I have found that birch is a little to prone to mold. 

I use WPB builder ply. 

Floor: 9mm for the floor (though 12 is better, just because it holds its shape a little better). 

Walls and ceiling: 6mm

This will be fine unles you are very rough with it. 

I would recommend a little insolation on the roof to help prevent condonsation, esspically if you occasionally end up sleep in the back of the van.
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 8:59am
why do you need to panel it? extra weight and less load space.. why?
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Noyzmunky Noyzmunky wrote:

why do you need to panel it? extra weight and less load space.. why?

To stop the thin metal walls being smashed and dented by the heavey speakers.

My old VW Lt had 12ml ply on the floor and 5 or 6 ml for the walls. Nothing on the ceiling. Think the floor had been no more nails down and the sides Tek screwed to the ribs/columns. 

Edited by KDW32 - 04 March 2021 at 9:41am
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 9:47am
Mine has 15mm on the floors and 6mm on the sides, at present it has nothing on the roof but I'm going to use 6mm as it'll help with preventing condensation/dripping.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 10:04am
this stuff is good if you can get hold of it:

https://www.wisaplywood.com/products/product-catalogue/wisa-multiwall/

they also do a multifloor product.

otherwise 12mm birch floor, 6mm/4mm walls

Edited by snowflake - 04 March 2021 at 10:05am
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 11:00am
In the UK there are lots of companies that supply interior ply lining kits all cut to size to suit most of the popular panel vans---some even supply heavy duty floors and carpet lining kits for the walls.
We have used them many times in the past and find it well worth while and definitely saves a lot of time and effort for very little extra cost compared to cutting everything yourself.
I should imagine that you should be able to find the same kind of companies in Oz
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 11:09am
Definately worth insulating. You can get a foil backed "Bubble wrap" on Ebay which can be stuck with "Stiks like ****" or similar adhesive.

Use the double layer one and you'll reduce the condensation problems by 90%.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 12:10pm

Mine has ThermaWrap style insulation behind the ply but as the roof isn’t lined as yet I still get condensation dripping.

For some reason standard ply lining kits rarely have a roof panel supplied!!

KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

Mine has ThermaWrap style insulation behind the ply but as the roof isn’t lined as yet I still get condensation dripping.

For some reason standard ply lining kits rarely have a roof panel supplied!!

Those kits are probably designed for builders so no need for a roof panel. That thermawrap stuff is pretty good I used it on my previous eurocargo. Current eurocargo came lined and panelled with a thin celotex type insulation.
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 1:17am
Honestly I'm only going to do the floor and maybe like 3 foot up the sides. The floor is already a bit beaten up from the previous owner and its about getting an easy surface to slide the boxes around on.

I am thinking that 9mm WPB ply sounds good for the floor and seems pretty cheap, will see what thinner sizes I can find for the sides.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
 Post Reply Post Reply