Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hypex Plate amp reliability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hypex Plate amp reliability
    Posted: 15 March 2021 at 1:49pm
Hi All

I am interested in buying a couple of Hypex plate amps, specifically the FA503 to power some 12+1 DJ monitors (colossus 12mb + DE250). 

I have read that these amps sound really good, even in a HiFi setting however I have also read that they can have some reliability issues, eg. heavy components attached with soldier breaking loose as a result of being moved around. 

Does anyone know if these issues have been addressed?

Is anyone using any of these plate amps in a speaker that is moved around a lot? Have they lasted?

Thanks in advance
Hugh
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 5:32pm
I also read the comments about the reliability (with the trouble to get them to fix it). Sure Powersoft not a better option? Confident to say it has become a proven platform. 
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2021 at 12:41am
I ended up just pulling the trigger and buying a couple. They arrived very quickly :) 

All the components appear to be glued to each other and the PCB which is a good start. Will give more updates when I get a chance to use them. 

Edited by citizensc - 23 March 2021 at 2:04am
https://www.facebook.com/voyager.system

@voyager_soundsystem
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2021 at 2:25pm
Providing exact mounting pressure for power semiconductors by bending PCB is never a good idea,not only does not stable (in time vs. pressure) which would be essential for maintaining low heat resistance but mechanical tension in the board killing SMD components.. It is cheap and utterly unreliable construction, do not be surprised to see in many low level audio gears, Included JBL "professional powered speakers.." :-D
And then add mechanical vibrations of the speaker box finally cutting the reliability by 100+
 Post Reply Post Reply