Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HF146 on XT1464 2-way ideas - what cone driver(s)?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HF146 on XT1464 2-way ideas - what cone driver(s)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:56am
Originally posted by JulianDA JulianDA wrote:

Originally posted by martinsson martinsson wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, I take it that there is no reason why a 15" 1,4" combination should not work just fine given that some love and care goes into getting the two units to work well together.

There are opinions on this, as always, one of the more popular ones is that a 15" will fall short in the midrange (unspecified range) when compared to a 12", but the again that a 15" should provide better lower down (again unspecified range) which is a given really.

I guess it is a matter of balancing towards the need, which in this case seem to call for a 15".

I can just speak from personal experience of our prototype with the 15NMB420 (tuned to 69Hz) under the NSD1480N on the 1464 Horn (all 18S) crossed at 1kHz. This combo sounds very pleasant and there is nothing to be missed. The good thing is that the 15" driver is nearly the same size as the horn, so its easy to get very good directivity in the crossover region :)

I have some 15"mid-tops too using NSD1480N (16R) on XT1464 and cross them at 950Hz to an RCF L15/554k. Ideally i'd replace the woofer by something a little more powerful as the limited x-max is extremely limiting on the low-end performance of the box, it's currently way too big for the low-end it produces.
Otherwise, indeed, the XT1464 performs amazingly down to 950Hz and the directivity match around crossover is almost perfect. The only thing i can fault the XT1464 for is the suckout on-axis around 16kHzOuch 
Best regards,
Teun.
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:54pm
Thanks for the suggestions and sharing of your findings in similar designs, I will not be able to keep up with the standard 50Hz or higher tuned BR solutions in SPL, for sure not, the driver I have decided to use might but not when deployed as I have been thing about, that is a 0.55-ish Qtc closed alignment.

If high SPL capacity was the goal however I would opt for BR, no doubt, cooling and excursion would be the prime motivators, but even in that case I keep banging my head against the particle velocity issue if tuned usefully low for stand alone applications, it is a far better approach in that case to go for a higher tuning at which point the the port area can be increased while keeping the length manageable, that is if the simulations are correct in predicting the velocity.

This will be a SQ oriented design rather than a high SPL one, I hope the HF146 on the XT1464 is a good sounding combination, reviews seems to indicate this, and it is good to hear that it can manage around 1kHz XO, as for the B&C 15NDL88 the opinions are scarce (I have not found anything on this driver) but I have a great deal of confidence in the brand from previous experience and the parameter balancing seems promising.

I think this may be a bit of an odd creature given the nature of this forum if what I'm thinking right now becomes reality, a sort of new oldschool design meaning a wide baffle, shallow and trapezoidal enclosure, think JBL SR47XX series and similar but with a hint of modern elements, something just feel right about it, to me at least.

Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2021 at 8:49am
I'm currently evaluating the 15ndl88/hf146/xt1464 combination in a 80dm3 enclosure, and for sure it shows alot of promise, I'll keep hammering on my DR260 and see how far I can take it, very well behaved drivers I must say, and they work well together, it's borderline to nice to be honest.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2021 at 12:36pm
That's good to hear! What cabinet are you using for the evaluation (BR tuned, or simple sealed)?
Best regards,
Teun.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 9:02am
A new cabinet is on the drawing board, for now I'm using a test cabinet from a previous investigation to see if one could manage to get a decent non processed response using passive filters and BR tuning with these components, the new cabinet will be sealed and active/passive switchable.

The passive filters are done and will soon be tested, for now I use the cabinet as a sealed box (plugged ports) and, this is the cool part, using only 1st order filters in the DR260 and some slight parametric EQ one can actually achieve a really decent response, like I said, very well behaved components.

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 9:38am
Originally posted by martinsson martinsson wrote:

A new cabinet is on the drawing board, for now I'm using a test cabinet from a previous investigation to see if one could manage to get a decent non processed response using passive filters and BR tuning with these components, the new cabinet will be sealed and active/passive switchable.

The passive filters are done and will soon be tested, for now I use the cabinet as a sealed box (plugged ports) and, this is the cool part, using only 1st order filters in the DR260 and some slight parametric EQ one can actually achieve a really decent response, like I said, very well behaved components.

have you tested at high volume? would have thought first order filters will put too much power through to the tweeter at resonance and to the mid at break-up frequencies. that tweeter has resonances within an octave of your crossover frequency iirc - second order filter at least is needed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 4:30pm
No, and you are totallt right, i would never doploy such a setting for propper use, it was only a test optimizing for low level hifi type sessions, the intresting thing is that the result was suprisingly good from that point of view, and I believe that it would be safe even if one where to go "home loud" :)

For sure one could achieve simillar results with steeper, safer, filters and I will look into that shortly, i meassure the drvers unfiltered (driverack rta & rtm mic using pink noise) and apply some peq to get them resonably flat in the range i would like to use them, then iI apply the delays needed and finally the filtering looking carefully at the xo regions.

I take care not to peq boost outside of the safe or usable range for each driver.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 7:21pm
Martinsson, have you ever tried a Harsch alignment? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2021 at 7:14am
Actually I "outsourced" the passive filter design, my friend Pär Engelholm of http://www.engelholmaudio.com/ is the guy behind the borh the testbox and the filter design as I wanted to know how hifi this could get.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12