Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can you upscale a lab horn and it still sound good
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can you upscale a lab horn and it still sound good

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillBorrisWithBase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you upscale a lab horn and it still sound good
    Posted: 07 April 2021 at 5:07pm
Hi yesterday me and my mate were test running his new turbo sound rig and it didn’t take long for the neighbour to come round to tell us that it’s definetly working haha as it turns out hes an ex copper Stern Smile but still was actually sound enough that he gave us a lab horn that he had in his barn for years if we agreed to turn the rig off banging result. Me being me I’m now curious if it’s possible to upscale the plan and make it 15/18 or even 21” having already done loads of research on them I understand that they can get through drivers quickly if not used right and are very specific with the eminence lab 12 drivers so makes me think that the likelihood of it being successful is very slim but the idea interests me enough to atleast ask what people think if I had to modify the compression ratio and stuff like that then that could be possible hopefully what you guys think? And yess I know it’ll be absolutely mahoosive but I don’t care how big and heavy it is even if it does take a forklift or loads of people to move one 
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 6:28pm
The polite answer is no.

Realistically, if you think the lab horn design would benefit from modification, demonstrates that you do not understand it.

Designs do not, as a rule, scale up and down. It just doesn't work like that. There is not a bigger driver that is exactly the same as the lab12 driver but just bigger. So just making the horn bigger doesn't just result in the same results but 'bigger'. Unfortunately there is a lot more to speaker design than this.

I get the impression you are looking for the biggest ,badest, horn out there (understandable, we've probably all been there) but you need to understand  that the biggest and baddest, does not necessarily use the biggest driver.

I recommend you commission some terrahorns or some of rog morales 2 part scoops (both fairly awesome no compromise designs) and if they don't do it for you, do a lot more reading and learning.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 11:33pm
I'm certainly no expert on this kind of subject but I think the answer the original poster is looking for is fairly simple.
Several Lab horns coupled together to make one big Lab horn.
In all fairness I believe Eminence now make a Lab 15 driver so a larger version could probably be designed. Just scaling up is not the way to go though, it would have to be designed from scratch.
Or as pointed out above you need one of these:
A big Horn
Cheers, Chris.
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:23am
I don't think I have ever seen someone say 'I want a labhorn but bigger', what are you trying to do? Raves for elephants? 

4 Labhorns have no problem playing down to 30hz and human music doesn't really go below 35hz... 

Maybe I really should design my 21 inch 'Compensator' 
https://www.facebook.com/voyager.system

@voyager_soundsystem
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by KillBorrisWithBase KillBorrisWithBase wrote:

they can get through drivers quickly if not used right

This is true of all gear. Run the tits off it and you will be killing drivers.  

Bring enough rig for the gig and limit conservatively and they will be fine. 

Rather than redesign a working design you could build another one or three!

Edited by JonB67 - 08 April 2021 at 7:27pm
dj-mip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj-mip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 2:01am
https://forum.speakerplans.com/new-sub-horn-based-on-another-design_topic79016.html

Amano lab 18. I built 1 prototype not tried with more yet

a.t.m.
 Post Reply Post Reply