Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subwoofer repair or replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGiantHogweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 7:17pm
I can't explain anything about how it works, but even just using the speaker inputs on it seems to access the low pass filter and only really focusses on the crossover it implies. I seem to get loads of buzz and interference when I use the line input.

In my view, I think this way makes more sense, especially for my set up. I actually can't quite picture in what way a line input is used if it is coming from something like an amplifier with a fixed output. I have a couple of loop through outputs on my pioneer amp, but if I use them i don't have any control of the volume if i want it synchronised with my speakers. The other thing I don't really understand how I could use is the line input and output. Say on the path to my amplifier. It will be fixed at line level, so how do I adjust the volume with my speakers. To me these speaker inputs make a lot of sense.

I'd actually looked at this and initially thought it had speaker inputs, but then realised that was not what they were for:

While I think I could find a way of getting used to using the headphone socket on my amplifier and then that into a line input of a subwoofer board of some kind, I still think my setup is easier. I currently have speaker cable coming from my pioneer amplifier (that has no subwoofer output) then that goes into the speaker terminals on my subwoofer, then i continue out of the terminals posts with banana plugs to my speakers.    
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2021 at 9:15pm
There’s a full schematic for the amplifier over on diyaudio forum:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/274800-wharfedale-sw150-active-subwoofer-help.html

You need to sign up to download the PDF, but every component is labelled. First port of call for me would be the state variable filter shown top left - your issue could be as simple as a faulty resistor allowing the filter oscillation to make it through to the amplification stage.

If you’re not super up on your electronics but fancy a project, there’s nothing on there that is too far away from textbook examples bolted together. It’s certainly better than chucking 20kg of metal into landfill.
TheGiantHogweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGiantHogweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 8:33am
I have some very basic electrical knowledge but likely would find this sort of thing tricky. I'm not good at learning new things.

After using a cheap amplifier, I am learning the issues with this alternative. While I can tell next to no difference in the quality of the audio when played at sensible listening levels (other than the crossover), there are quite a few other problems. Such as background hum whenever my main amp is switched off and picking up loads of other interference at times.

So for now, I think I will go back to using the amplifier on the subwoofer itself. If I don't really know what I am doing with the board, I suppose I also could contact wharfedale and see what they suggest (even though I know it would involve spending money if they would offer anything)

Luckily the driver just had spade connectors on it so I didn't need to cut anything to do my test.

It is ok most of the time with most music. Just a noticeable buzz in the driver under 50 and over 70 hz. Luckily this is only really noticeable when i listen to just the subwoofer or there is music with the odd bit of bass that isn't played with much else. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 1:02pm
"After using a cheap amplifier, I am learning the issues with this alternative. While I can tell next to no difference in the quality of the audio when played at sensible listening levels (other than the crossover), there are quite a few other problems. Such as background hum whenever my main amp is switched off and picking up loads of other interference at times."

Yes - the cheapo (Class D) amps you can buy off the www have all sorts of issues - poor filtering being a big one.

Why not consider selling the amp you have (Pioneer?) - and get a 5.1?

Something like this:-

Not at all expensive.

Or take a chance!!

Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGiantHogweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

"After using a cheap amplifier, I am learning the issues with this alternative. While I can tell next to no difference in the quality of the audio when played at sensible listening levels (other than the crossover), there are quite a few other problems. Such as background hum whenever my main amp is switched off and picking up loads of other interference at times."

Yes - the cheapo (Class D) amps you can buy off the www have all sorts of issues - poor filtering being a big one.

Why not consider selling the amp you have (Pioneer?) - and get a 5.1?

Something like this:-

Not at all expensive.

Or take a chance!!

Smile

I actually created a thread about a month ago asking about a channel balance fault with my Pioneer amp (A-209R). I am cautious about getting things 2nd hand and I was horrified at the price of new integrated amplifiers new now. There seems to be plenty of cheap ones on amazon from between £30 and £80, but all the ones of a similar layout to my pioneer seem to be among £300 now. I paid £139 for mine new. Based on the price for mine to be repaired (£50), I was quite pleased I took it really. I've nearly had it 10 years so it is doing pretty well. All the channel and crackling issues have been sorted.

It seems they don't make many analogue amplifiers like this now that are more on the budget end (other than the really cheap ones). Maybe because they have features like bluetooth and more digital inputs which I'm not fussed about.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 4:27pm
Yes - people seem to value "connectivity" more than sound quality - or reliability.  Unhappy

Over here, 5.1 amps are dime a dozen. No doubt everyone "upgrading" due to lockdown!!   LOL LOL LOL

Edited by Earplug - 16 April 2021 at 4:28pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGiantHogweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2021 at 4:52pm
reliability seems terrible on modern devices. And I personally really dislike bluetooth other than when my situation simply must be wireless. I personally don't see the point of devices like wireless subwoofers as it isn't like you are going to be moving it so where is the harm in using a reliable wired connection.

Not sure about others, but literally every bluetooth audio device I've used has a slight delay in the sound. This can be a problem with videos as I notice there are lip sync issues with speech. I find it annoying how many more expensive hifi devices these days often have less wired options than they used to when it still is the better way to go if you are really into your hi-fi. 

I've reinstalled the driver with the main amplifier now and will see how long i can tolerate the buzzing issues at certain frequencies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12