Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WinISD transfer function magnitude

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbb1fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WinISD transfer function magnitude
    Posted: 14 April 2021 at 10:12pm
Sorry to ask something that's already been asked, but I can't find a very precise answer.
Say I have a subwoofer I want to put in an enclosure, and have a flat frequency response down to 40 Hz.

What I get, in "transfer function magnitude" from WinISD, after some tweaks from what WinISD advised me (little bit bigger box, an eq... who knows ?), is a flat transfer function magnitude. Great !
From 40 Hz (-3dB) to very high frequencies, the transfer function magnitude is flat.

What I see here is either :
1 - What the frequency response of my woofer after I put in that box will be
OR
2 - The gain of the box, meaning the free field frequency response of the woofer will remain unchanged from 40 Hz to high frequencies.

I was thinking it would be 1, but now I realise I doesn't make any sense, 2 seems much more logical.

If the correct situation is the situation 2, then I should design this transfer function magnitude trying to correct the free-field frequency of the woofer in order for it to be flat, rather than having a flat transfer function magnitude wich will just not change anything after 40 Hz.

Am I right ?

Thanks !
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2021 at 10:33pm
The answer is neither.
These box modelling programs are only accurate from about 100-150hz and down, so anything it produces above that cannot be trusted to be even remotely accurate.

Edited by Conanski - 14 April 2021 at 10:37pm
ssbb1fire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbb1fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2021 at 10:43pm
I was asking about that :
from 150 hz and down, is it 1 or 2 ?

I mean it has to be one of them
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2021 at 11:45pm
So yes the box modeling program produces the combined response of the box and driver... at low frequencies.
 Post Reply Post Reply