Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Incrase volume across whole system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Incrase volume across whole system
    Posted: 01 May 2021 at 6:23pm
Hi guys. I'm putting together my first system and I can't warp my head around something.
The system is 2 funktion one res 2 copies (more or less) for tops (15 + 8 + 1)
And two paraflex 15 inch subs per side.
I use a behringer dcx2496. 

Since you can increase the gain individually for each channel of the amps (subs, low mid, mid +hi),
how would you set these to the proper volume relative to each other, and increase it uniformly?

Would I have to turn the gain up to max on my amps, set the proper limiters, and then use the individual output channel gain on the processor to get everything at the same volume?

And then control the volume of the system from the preamp (a xone 32 mixer) before it goes into the processor?

In that case, how would I deal with redlining DJs? Is there another place in the chain where I could increase/decrease the volume of everything?

Would switching the input gain sensitivity from 0.775 to 1.4 act more or less as a big volume switch? 

Also, are the limiters on the dcx2496 good enough? Would they protect my system from some drunk idiot who has turned up all the channel gains, and master gain to max on a pioneer mixer (unfortunate but something I see regularly as a DJ)?

Is there anythinge else I should keep in mind?

Thanks!

Edited by shashnatiq - 01 May 2021 at 6:24pm
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by shashnatiq shashnatiq wrote:

Hi guys. I'm putting together my first system and I can't warp my head around something.
The system is 2 funktion one res 2 copies (more or less) for tops (15 + 8 + 1)
And two paraflex 15 inch subs per side.
I use a behringer dcx2496. 

Since you can increase the gain individually for each channel of the amps (subs, low mid, mid +hi),
how would you set these to the proper volume relative to each other, and increase it uniformly?

Would I have to turn the gain up to max on my amps, set the proper limiters, and then use the individual output channel gain on the processor to get everything at the same volume?

And then control the volume of the system from the preamp (a xone 32 mixer) before it goes into the processor?

In that case, how would I deal with redlining DJs? Is there another place in the chain where I could increase/decrease the volume of everything?

Would switching the input gain sensitivity from 0.775 to 1.4 act more or less as a big volume switch? 

Also, are the limiters on the dcx2496 good enough? Would they protect my system from some drunk idiot who has turned up all the channel gains, and master gain to max on a pioneer mixer (unfortunate but something I see regularly as a DJ)?

Is there anythinge else I should keep in mind?

Thanks!

Years back in another discussion group, I remember reading
that there's a way of adjusting the DCX so that when the DJ
exceeds parameters, the bass is turned down and said DJ is
defeated in his misson to destroy bot his and everybody else's
hearing.

Really must try to find that article.

It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.

B: An OnlyFans daughter
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:49pm

Since you can increase the gain individually for each channel of the amps (subs, low mid, mid +hi), how would you set these to the proper volume relative to each other,

Use your ear. Are your amps all the same? It really helps if they are.
Start with a single stack and play some music you are really familiar with. Crank the gains on the sub amp up to max and dial up the main output on the mixer to a comfortable SPL(not super loud), then one at  time bring up the gains on the amplifiers for the other bands until you get a balanced sound. Play a range of tracks to be certain the mix is good but only adjust the upper 3 bands. 
Now make note of the relative gain differences betwen all the bands, transfer that to the output level controls in the processor and then put all amp gains at max. 

Yes.

The limiters have to be set with the system at full output, and all outputs should limit at the same time or the system will sound more and more unbalanced the harder it is pushed. Usually the subs will be the first to limit but it depends on the individual system, in any event whatever amp hits clipping first will be the reference, set the limiter to just stop that amp from clipping and then dial in all the other limiters to come on at the same time. 

how would I deal with redlining DJs? Is there another place in the chain where I could increase/decrease the volume of everything?

The DCX has a dynamic EQ that can be set to produce negative gain above a certain threshold, I have never used it as the limiters work well enough for me. 

Post Reply Post Reply