Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a custom SoundBoks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malacka11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a custom SoundBoks
    Posted: 05 May 2021 at 5:30pm
Hi guys. First post on this forum, so far I've just been on Reddit. I'm struggling to come up with a system design (or find one to follow) because everything I find is either not quite powerful enough or is battery-powered. Yes, I want my system to be portable, insofar that it's all one big unit, right? That and bluetooth or Aux connectivity are my only real requirements. I do not need it to have a built-in battery; I want to be able to plug it straight into a wall. 

I'm honestly growing fatigued from the amount of endless research and forum-searching I've been doing. The truth is, that I could really use the help of people who know what they're talking about. To give you guys an idea of my concept, the Boominator is like 90% of the way there except that it, too, runs of a battery to my knowledge. Something that size would be perfect though. But what power/signal source should I use? 

I'm probably going to purchase a small DIY kit to tinker with before I attempt this project, rest assured. I just want to start laying the groundwork for now. 

Thank you all so much for your help; I appreciate any input at all. 
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 6:05pm
So you want a small, full range, mains powered speaker with built in amplifier?

You can buy 'plate amplifiers' which are built onto a sheet of metal so that you can recess it into a cabinet. If you find a 'full range' design you like the look of, Im sure you can get advice on a model that would suit.

Or if you like the boominator you could build one and by a 12v power supply rather than a battery?

Edited by imageoven - 05 May 2021 at 6:05pm
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Malacka11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malacka11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 6:15pm
I've definitely considered using a plate amp and figured I'll need at least one. Don't the majority of plate amps plug straight into a wall outlet actually?

The design I'm shooting for isn't exactly small, at least by my standards... I want to buy a 12" sub, probably a Dayton Audio Ultimax, and then have a pair of two-ways mounted above it. Problem is I'm not sure how to find compatible speakers that would match well, and I'm really not sure how to select speakers that would sound great while being mounted next to each other. I'm thinking something in the 500-600 watt RMS range? Maybe I could get one plate amp to power two woofers and two tweeters, and then send the sub out of that amp to a dedicated sub amplifier running at 300-400 watts? Idk, there's so many possibilities and it's clear that there's a lot I don't know.
 Post Reply Post Reply