Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DM2 crossover & more

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeypee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DM2 crossover & more
    Posted: 06 May 2021 at 1:38pm
Hi, i'm looking for a DM2 build for personnal use, i'm trying to find a nice crossover using required HPs, somebody can help me ?

Edited by jeypee - 06 May 2021 at 2:00pm
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:03pm
What amplifiers do you have?
100% Earth Moving Bass
jeypee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeypee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:15pm
I don't already know, i'm lost with impedance too and the cable management btw.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:23pm
I’ve made a DM2, mine is run with an active crossover and 3 amplifiers. This gives you the best control over the cab,and you can balance the sound from each section and get it sounding how you want.
Impedance will depend on what you load it with and how you wire each section.

What do you plan to do with the DM2’s?
100% Earth Moving Bass
jeypee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeypee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:41pm
I forgot to precise I would try to use passive crossover, for an easy and "light" installation (for family and friends) with a simple amp. - Impedance works as bridge between few speakers ?
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 11:16pm
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a passive crossover that has the correct frequencies for this cabinet? However feel free to look on google.
You’re going to want a 4 ohm type crossover, again not sure how easy it will be to find, or alternative is to use 16 ohm drivers which when wired parallel will give you 8ohms so each section is then an 8 ohm load.
Just so you know it’s a BIG cabinet and it’s also VERY heavy once it’s loaded up with drivers. You won’t move it on your own!

If you search on here you will find pictures and information on the one I built.
100% Earth Moving Bass
jeypee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeypee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 10:13am
Already tried ton find it, your are my last chance :p ok I notice that's easier with amp and DSP.
Is that possible to use 1 amp and 1 DSP ?
By "Light" I would mean not 3 amp and 1001 cables but if it's needed i'll do that :D i'm there to learn.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 1:11pm
You will need 3 amp and DSP channels if you run the cab active. Being there is no crossover, you will be bound by that. A passive XO is possible, but would become rather expensive (looking at the powerlevels) and designing one takes time and knowledge. Some basic DSP's like a Behringer DCX would already suffice. 
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:11pm
Are you building just one or a pair?
If a pair you’ll need 3 amplifier and a dsp,
If one, you can get away with 2 amplifiers

You’ll also want 8 core speaker cable and NL8

If you’re looking to keep it simple and not require too much equipment, it may be worth considering alternative design cabinets such as a 2x15 +1”

Edited by GAZ. - 07 May 2021 at 9:26pm
100% Earth Moving Bass
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 11:51pm
A 4 channel amp may make things seem easier.

Based on the little information given though, I question  whether this is the right cab for your needs.

Why not use a pair of 12" + 1 " cabs, or 15" + 1.5" cabs? 

Or four of these cabs if you need more power?

There are ' off the shelf" DIY designs and kits of this type with appropriate crossovers specified.

This may not be the best solution, but you don't explain why it isn't. 
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
jeypee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeypee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 12:16pm
I think ill go double 15" and double 10"+1 boxes it seems more simple to manage reading your answers

Edited by jeypee - 09 May 2021 at 4:49pm
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 1:56pm
That is just splitting it into two enclosures, the problems remain the same.

You will not find a passive crossover suitable for a double 15" cab. This link has a range of plans with crossover plans where appropriate. https://www.beyma.com/en/enclosure-designs/
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
 Post Reply Post Reply