Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it OK to run subs on different amps?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it OK to run subs on different amps?
    Posted: 20 May 2021 at 3:21am
I'm considering adding two more subs to my set up for six double 18s in total.

To run two more subs I need one more sub amp.

Would it be ok to use a different amp to run the two additinal subs?

I know people say you shouldn't mix subs but how about amps?
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 9:20am
I presume you mean a different type of amplifier, rather than an additional one the same type?

Regardless, yes, it is fine. any half decent amplifier will behave imperceptably differently alongside another in this situation, provided they are both operating within their capabilities and level matched correctly. Any tonal differences will be minimal and will blend together. It will be easier to control (match levels) if they are the same type.
Obviously if one hits its limits of capability before the other then there will be a difference (clipping / distorting earlier etc.) and you may not noticec this if the other more capable amplifier is masking it.

Most people will aim to use the same type of amplifiers, it just makes everything easier.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
shashnatiq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 12:31pm
I have also wondered about this and I would like to ask if volume affects the quality of sound in some way.
What I mean is if his last 2 speakers that will be powered by a different amp, have slighly less/more volume than the others will this degrade sound quality in any way?

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Maze Maze wrote:

I'm considering adding two more subs to my set up for six double 18s in total.

To run two more subs I need one more sub amp.

Would it be ok to use a different amp to run the two additinal subs?

I know people say you shouldn't mix subs but how about amps?

You are running 4 x double 18's off 1 amp? What amp? Are you running at 2 ohm/channel, or a 4 channel amp?

In any case - different amps will have different voltage gains, slew rates, damping factors, etc. etc. - so always better to use the same make & model of amp.

Were you going to do that anyway?

In which case, no big deal. You may get slightly less power going into the other cabs and a slight difference in volume, but I'd say nothing really noticeable. It depends on the original amp you have.

If you are going to use a completely different make and/or model - then you will most probably need to adjust your gain structure, etc. Again - it all depends on the amps, ie, we really need more information here.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by shashnatiq shashnatiq wrote:

I have also wondered about this and I would like to ask if volume affects the quality of sound in some way.
What I mean is if his last 2 speakers that will be powered by a different amp, have slighly less/more volume than the others will this degrade sound quality in any way?

As long as your system is "coherent", adding another amp and cabs should not degrade the sound quality. Even if the new cabs have slightly less SPL, as long as they match the others, the total SPL should sum and give you more overall volume.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 2:11pm

Another thing to consider:

If any of these amps have any form of digital processing onboard you may run into latency issues when mixing amp of different makes/models.... even the same amp model running different firmware versions could affect the amps latency.
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 4:23pm
Thansk for the advice guys Smile... I got in contact with my gear supplier, but he has already stopped making the ampfliers he sold me before. I guess there's no choice but to go with a different one, or sell the one I have and buy two new ones if I can afford it.

Actually, another reason I was curious about this is because I'm considering building some speakers with a setup consisting of sub, kicks and tops. I'd need one more amp for that too, but I was considering buying something second hand. Anyway I'm rambling now, I'm a dreamer LOL

Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 4:32pm
Sell what you have and buy a 4 channel amp capable of powering subs. Sorted.

otherwise you don't need to worry about any of it unless you start getting paid real money for doing it. 96% of people don't know the arse from the elbow of sound quality and wont care as long as it 'sounds good enough'. The rest will already have their own rig...lol.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Noyzmunky Noyzmunky wrote:

Sell what you have and buy a 4 channel amp capable of powering subs. Sorted.

otherwise you don't need to worry about any of it unless you start getting paid real money for doing it. 96% of people don't know the arse from the elbow of sound quality and wont care as long as it 'sounds LOUD enough'. The rest will already have their own rig...lol.

Ok - corrected!!   LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 3:42am
@Noyzmunky

I have two amps right now, one for tops 4x1300W and one for subs 2x2400W.

It's a turn-key system, but sounds pretty sweet to me :)
 Post Reply Post Reply