Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dBX DDP handson experience?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dBX DDP handson experience?
    Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:40am
Has anybody used a dBX DDP in their rig? its a digital toolbox from the early nougties with all kinds of processing regarding limiting, compression and so on. https://dbxpro.com/en/products/ddp

came across one for less than pocket money and do not have anything besides a real old Yamaha digital crossover in my rig at the moment. want to use it when needed (eg-i know some redline-dj's who might use my rig). 
the concept didn't catch on but for sporadic use it might come in handy.

Edited by Bams - 22 May 2021 at 9:40am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 9:34am
The concept did catch on just fine, but it took the form of desk plugins instead of a piece of fiddly outboard!

Some of the dbx stuff has a certain sound that is far from my favourite, and having only two channels of processing like this might be restrictive. It depends what you want to use it for - it’s not going to replace an LMS.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

The concept did catch on just fine, but it took the form of desk plugins instead of a piece of fiddly outboard!

Didn't look at it that way :) always good to look with other eyes. the unit would be part of my nodbudget-coronalockdown-occupationaltherapy-rig in which i combine a lot of gear.  as LMS i use two Yamaha D1030 crossover/delays which handle this thing job fine but are no real LMS. for their age and idea quite wonderfull units but quite vunerable for too high input signals. this is where the DDP's come in. 

they are part of about 150 outboard effects which a guy is selling off but no LMS or dedicated compressor/limiters. 
 Post Reply Post Reply