Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery 12" B&C Drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JYSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery 12" B&C Drivers
    Posted: 16 June 2021 at 9:20pm
Hi all

Here I have some "mystery" B&C drivers which I picked up on fleabay.

On the drivers there is little to no markings which indicated what model/ range they are so I am assuming they are OEM units for something or other but, If anyone can shell some light onto what the may be I would be appreciative.

Assumed specs/model:

- 1000w
- 8ohm
- 12FG100 (chassis)
- 12TBX100 (cone)

Onedrive link to Images
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsETDk-Fgstnfu2s5Ega9ozNCxA?e=fijErA

Edited by JYSE - 16 June 2021 at 9:24pm
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2021 at 10:16pm
Tried contacting B&C directly?
JYSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JYSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2021 at 10:18pm
Yeah man, I sent their tech support team an e-mail this morning but not yet had any reply back from them.
PISSHEAD View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PISSHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 9:50pm
There's a bloke selling loads of Martin Audio spares, did you buy them off him?
The 'drunken master' strikes again.
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 11:03am
I saw these too, it looks to me like it's Martin themselves selling them along with a load of other bits. If they don't know it's origin then I doubt anybody does! I have found B&C to be quite helpful in the past though so their tech guys should reply. 
Failing that then look into measuring the T/S parameters yourself. 
It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.
JYSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JYSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 1:39pm
Update: 

I got word back from B&C and they couldn't say much about the drivers due to having an NDA inplace with the original customer. They did say however that they are lab samples provided as a bespoke speaker for the client and thats about it. The client is pretty obvious (at least to me anyway) being that these came from High Wycombe and the seller listed a lot of martin components etc.

I'm going to run some TS measurements at some point albeit will be very generalised as ill be using REW to do so. But that should give me some indication as to what specs they are. I will post the results for ultimate nerd points

Edited by JYSE - 18 June 2021 at 1:41pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 4:13pm
What makes you think using REW to measure Thiele-Small parameters is going to be less reliable than how they’re done normally?

Check all of your drivers and do some manual averaging of the measured parameters. Ideally not sat on a bench… mount them in a known test box or flush mount them into an ‘infinite’ baffle. That should be the norm for anyone designing or building a speaker, anyway.

You’ll only get more detailed results if you invest in some very expensive hardware and an anechoic chamber.
JYSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JYSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2021 at 9:47am
Only reason being, itll be a learning curve for me. I've only done research for a uni project on TS measurements with REW haha. Looks fairly easy and straightforward to do though and I'm quite competent at these kind of things just never had a reason to do it before now
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2021 at 10:51am
You only need a resistor, some bits of wire and a known weight to tape to the cone. It’s close enough for cabinet spec work, until you’re at the level of needing the full data for a driver.
JYSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JYSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2021 at 6:42pm
Update:

So, My friend Billy had a DATSv3 tester in his shed that he has kindly loaned me for the testing of these drivers.

here are the free air parameter results.

F(s) - 43.27hz
Re - 3.661 Ohms
Q(ts) - 0.2277
Q(es) - 0.2369
Q(ms) - 5.884
L(e) - 0.8994mH

Vas - TBC (I didn't have a added mass that i knew the exact weight of to conduct this measurement)
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2021 at 9:40pm
a penny weighs 3.5g Wink
JYSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JYSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2021 at 9:47pm
thats actually a very good point haha. 3.56g penny and a bit of masking tape will do the job
 Post Reply Post Reply