Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - (Wireless) Alternative to Wired Whole House Sound?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

(Wireless) Alternative to Wired Whole House Sound?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhnc140 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (Wireless) Alternative to Wired Whole House Sound?
    Posted: 17 June 2021 at 12:09am
I consider myself a newbie although I am handy with computers and set up my own video and surround sound system.  Once.  But nothing will amaze anyone here - all basic stuff.

I am currently in a home that was wired 21 years ago and while old, it works and I like it.  A mostly whole-house sound system fed from a closet connection but controlled via a tiny panel in each room, including the deck.  Currently building a new home, I wanted to replicate what I have with newer equipment.  Unfortunately, I am captive to the builder's single system installer and this is my only option if I want to get wires behind the drywall and above the ceiling.  Expensive.  Asking about having them install wires and speakers to a location of my choice still causes sticker shock.  Bottom line, they know they are the only option and hence pricing is less that impressive.  The fellow I'm working with knows his stuff, that's obvious to me.  But the costs involved have me considering skipping the whole idea.

I see there are wireless speaker systems.  It seems Bluetooth is prevalent but I worry about the distances involved.  I don't want control panels on the wall of each room like I have now;  seems way to complex.  Phone/tablet access to each speaker or some central control box?  Preferred.  

I'm starting to research myself but the options are overwhelming and there is no obvious "start here, 101" guide that I can find.  Any pointers?

I don't need to start with Sonos speakers; they seem to be top of the line.  I'm willing to upgrade things over time if needed, but I'm also not afraid to start small.  I simply want to have speakers in several rooms (in the walls or ceiling preferred, will create holes but hard-wiring after-the-fact isn't real).  I want a way to control each room's on/off/volume independently.  Separate sources per room would be great but isn't the main requirement.  Also considering stand-alone speakers but less appealing. 

Any pointers?  Start here links or even name dropping of systems I can read about.  Will eventually look for a pro to install things, and maybe that would be a start.  But I need to understand what's being sold to me.

Thanks in advance!

Nick
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 7:32am
Bluetooth is shit, the sound is compressed a lot.

Since you're in the US, I assume the structure of the house is mostly timber and drywall. A WiFi-based solution should work well.

Personally I have experience with Yamaha's "MusicCast" wireless (WiFi) systems. They have a whole range of products, from AV-receivers to wifi-enabled stand-alone active loudspeakers. They have a multi-platform software to set up the network, and another one for controlling the audio network. You can stream directly from spotify, net radio, and other digital sources, but you can also route sound from one place to another, for example if you play back physical media (CD or vinyl or tape) in your living room on your AV-receiver, you can route the sound of that to any other output in the network.

On a side note, this forum is geared more towards PA, live sound and commercial AV install. You might get more appropriate responses on domestic AV / HiFi forums. 
bhnc140 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhnc140 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 8:52pm
Thanks for the reply.  Ok, so I'm in the wrong place.  I'll look around some more.  Thanks.

More importantly, though, is that you pointed me to a system that seems to fit my needs.  Which means others likely exist.  I'm really trying to convince myself that I do not need to submit to my only installer option if I want hard-wired speakers;  I'll have other options after the walls are all sealed up.  And while I didn't see any ceiling or wall flush-mounted items from Yamaha in a quick glance (not MultiCast enabled at least), I will consider visible boxes.  We'll see.

Again, thanks for the reply.  I'll google for a more appropriate forum.

Nick 
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 9:06am
Happy to help Nick, good luck with your project!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 10:29am
Yamaha have all those things, but they’re in the commercial audio lines which aren’t available to buy to non-professionals.

If you own the house, then you can do what the hell you want to the walls. If you don’t, then you can just plan in a clean up ahead of time and integrate that into your methods. Many of my rental houses in the past probably still have lots of useful CAT5e lines hidden in the skirting boards

I’d honestly suggest talking to a home AV installer. They have a lot of experience integrating things to make it seamless and sensible. That’s just as important as good sounding kit when you’re using the same thing every day. More so if you have a better half or kids.
 Post Reply Post Reply