Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to do with a load of 18TLW3000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itskabini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2021 at 10:54pm
Seems the consensus is definitely to make them all the same. I'm being cautious about the xmax as when I got the system 6/8 subs had what looked like torn surrounds, or the surrounds separating from the cone itself. 

When I plugged the previous numbers from the DSP into WinISD it seemed like the drivers would be going to almost double xmax, and as they aren't cheap to get redone I'd rather not break anymore 😂
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2021 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by JBK JBK wrote:

18sound provide a plan for this driver, at a quick glance it seems to be what you're looking for

you will want to add some bracing to that cabinet. part F can be extended so that it connects to the rear of the cabinet. and couple of 6" wide braces running along each side and also connecting to the back. maybe four braces that connects the parts E,D, and C.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2021 at 6:26am
Double post

Edited by csg - 01 July 2021 at 6:29am
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2021 at 6:27am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Originally posted by itskabini itskabini wrote:

Seems the consensus is definitely to make them all the same. I'm being cautious about the xmax as when I got the system 6/8 subs had what looked like torn surrounds, or the surrounds separating from the cone itself. 

When I plugged the previous numbers from the DSP into WinISD it seemed like the drivers would be going to almost double xmax, and as they aren't cheap to get redone I'd rather not break anymore 😂

For PA applications one of the advantages of a reflex alignment is that if well tuned the enclosure and vent will reduce excursion around the frequencies where without this control it is likely to be at its greatest. The caveat is that you need to rapidly reduce power below this frequency as the driver rapidly becomes unloaded, and if left to play these frequencies will behave as if operating in free air, without any enclosure damping.
The rolloff from a sealed enclosure will be slower, but very low frequency efficiency will be too low for effective or efficient PA use, reflex enclosures will roll off much faster, but will be much more efficient to just below their tuned frequency. Get that tuned frequency right for your application and you will be happy.

And, yes, as above, you cant have too much bracing. 90% of reflex designs suffer from insufficient bracing, and any panel vibration is robbing your output and smearing the response. 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
itskabini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itskabini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2021 at 12:30pm
I think part of my problem is I want something that's all things to all people, (although all electronic music). The events I'd be doing would be a mix of classic techno with big kick drums, and bass music that really needs that low end extension. 

From the sound of it though a heavily braced double 18 is the best compromise. What's the highest frequency that a box like that could be run up to for electronic music? I've had some success in the past with hi-fi crossing things over at up to 150Hz, the monoing of those frequencies had less of a negative effect than I expected
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2021 at 1:19pm
I run 15" reflex subs up to 120Hz for electronic music and bands (or at least used to...) sounds better than 80Hz crossover as less power to the tops.  My main constraint on going higher is the arraying of the subs, the acoustic centers would start to be too far apart for them to constructively sum in my preferred laying down configuration (maximizing line source width) if I crossed higher.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12