Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

groove joints

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daganjah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: groove joints
    Posted: 08 July 2021 at 1:24pm
hello everyone
i want to try using groove joints for my next build but I do not know how to calculate the depth of the groove that will give me the strongest. do you have tips for me?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 1:26pm
I've always done 5mm. In either 18mm or 15mm ply. It keeps the main piece thick enough, and it's deep enough for the dado to be effective. And it's easy to just add 10mm onto the relevant panels when working out your cuts.

I'm no expert though
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 3:22pm
strongest is probably half the board thickness, but that's a lot of sawdust and probably not possible to cut in one pass. and you would have to be careful your screws didn't go through the cut board.

my router has 3mm steps on the depth gauge so I just use 3mm - it's enough to get things slotted together. 5mm/6mm also possible in one pass but more than that only if you have very sharp router bit.
Daganjah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daganjah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 7:28pm
thank you!
you helped me a lot
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2021 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

I've always done 5mm. In either 18mm or 15mm ply. It keeps the main piece thick enough, and it's deep enough for the dado to be effective. And it's easy to just add 10mm onto the relevant panels when working out your cuts.

I'm no expert though
+1 on 5mm, main reason being that it creates a sufficient depth to be easy to work with if you bump the panel into it, leaving enough flesh on the other panel and being by far the easiest to work with in calculations.
Best regards,
Teun.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2021 at 4:33pm
I also used 5mm in all previous files, works perfect for me.
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2021 at 2:41am
Another vote for 5mm here, makes calculating sheet sizes easy aw you just add 10mm to the width
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
 Post Reply Post Reply