Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5-6KW rig battery power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5-6KW rig battery power
    Posted: 23 July 2021 at 5:42pm
So, i am not really an expert in battery powered rigs so i will just tell you what i need and you tell me what would be the best solution.

I have a request to bring a rig (2x21 inch subs, 6 2x6 line arrays and two 12 inch coax monitors) at a location where it is a real pain in the ass to use generators because it is quite a narrow path of about 600-700m where a genny will have to be carried by hand. We did one gig and we would really like to avoid doing that once more. Generator was also quite noisy because the place is extremely quiet once the dark falls and the music material is classical music performed from a platform in the middle of a small lake. Audience is in small boats floating around the platform. So, bringing electricity to the platform was also a challenge with the genny on the shore away enough not to annoy the audience.
So, an obvious solution is a battery pack that can power such a rig for 4-5 hours.
The rig is playing at like 50% capacity, and there is not really much of a bass content that will drain the batteries fast.

What solution you think is possible here? Ready one or a DIY one. We can build pretty much anything but we need to know what we need to do. 
First of all i have no idea how much battery capacity i need in batteries, what sort of batteries, what sort of inverter... 

Spill your ideas here :) 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 6:35pm
The simplest thing is to build a 48V battery from LiFePO4 cells. Measuring the actual draw of the system at the intended power would help if you only want to use the setup for this gig, but it won't be that cheap so you might as well size it to be useful for other events. Then add an inverter charger, I have a couple of Studer XTH-8000 and they are great. You can charge from mains with the inverter.

If you build your own battery the winston cells are probably simplest, GWL power supply. 100Ah 16 series pack would be bare miniumum for this gig, that would give 5kWh at 52.8V. So 500w average power draw for 10 hours. You would need a BMS of some sort, ideally one which can communicate with the inverter via canbus to control charge and discharge safely (Rec BMS are the chepaest studer compatible option I think).

Or you can get the pylontech/BYD type which have all that built into a nice 19" rack mount format. Not tried them myself. Simpler, don't know about long term reliability of the BMS though. This: https://forum.speakerplans.com/48v-pv-lithium-system-build-in-progress_topic106352_post1054080.html#1054080

If you want to make it really light and compact though, it is worth looking at lithium ion cells rather than LiFePO4 - I just built a 1200Ah 62V battery (75kWh) from EV grade NMC cells and the whole setup weighs around 400kg and only takes up 300 litres...

mabrissaer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mabrissaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 9:21pm
I have 7 greenhouses in theSouthwest desert. I have twenty-five S9 miners inside these greenhouses. They are all running 100% off grid with solar and battery power. I posted my numbers for this mining operation in the desert a few hours ago but it was downvoted into obscurity. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 5:53am
The first thing to do is work out the draw of the system. That will give you a baseline from which to work.

Then, have you thought about powering off 24V car amps? That might be the most efficient way of doing this.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 10:25pm
We are running the pylon us5000, quick return on investment.

Post Reply Post Reply