Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C Audio SRX3701 amp on a genny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 1:45pm
Well then to answer the OP.. Is it safe to run a srx3701 (a glorified SR707) off a 3k petrol generator  No it is not safe as there is a reasonable risk of a voltage spike taking out the power input stage. 

In my youth, I have been there, done that and would not do it again..  

Edited by 4D - 27 October 2021 at 1:46pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

Well then to answer the OP.. Is it safe to run a srx3701 (a glorified SR707) off a 3k petrol generator  No it is not safe as there is a reasonable risk of a voltage spike taking out the power input stage. 

In my youth, I have been there, done that and would not do it again..  

Interesting, because Esc4pe had no problems with a proline, which is known to have a moody inrush circuit -  as indeed was the SR 707 back in the day, there is a recommended mod for this.

I guess the takeaway there is be careful using big heavy amps with soft start, on small generators, but ironically budget amps will probably fare better here, due to undersized PSU. A good clue to identify amps with undersized PSU would be if the 4r rating is significantly less than double the 8r rating. 

The exception here being Crest, they are just very well designed and overbuilt so quite difficult to blow up.

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 27 October 2021 at 7:27pm
zigzagwanderer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigzagwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Sonic the hedge Sonic the hedge wrote:

which is known to have a moody inrush circuit -  as indeed was the SR 707 back in the day, there is a recommended mod for this.

any chance you could elaborate further on this mod please,
and is it also applicable to the SRX3701 ?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 7:50pm
"The exception here being Crest, they are just very well designed and overbuilt so quite difficult to blow up."

Yup.

I've seen 8001's survive a 380v messup by an electrician, ie 380v supplied instead of expected 220v. The mains breaker switch clicked off and that was it. No internal damage. Meter your mains, yes. And as an aside, a couple of old Orange valve amps also survived said cockup without any problem. Old school over-engineering! 
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by zigzagwanderer zigzagwanderer wrote:

Originally posted by Sonic the hedge Sonic the hedge wrote:

which is known to have a moody inrush circuit -  as indeed was the SR 707 back in the day, there is a recommended mod for this.

any chance you could elaborate further on this mod please,
and is it also applicable to the SRX3701 ?

Don't know about SRX3701, the SR707 I only know about from way back, IIRC there was a recall by C-Audio.

There is some info in this thread:

Otherwise suggest contacting one of the amp guys on the forum e.g. simonp1100, service dept Steve, kedwardsleisure
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 9:24pm
This threads getting over complicated

We used to run with no issues 4 X ohm TRS 218 and 2 TRS 212 being powered by chevin a4000 on bass, c audio srx 3701 on mid top, bss fds 360, pair of 1210 and a couple iof lights for several days at a time for a couple of years off a 3.2 KVA honda petrol. Sounded great. Never an issue. Some  people on here might remember it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123