Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange rattling noise from woofer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Wikl109 Wikl109 wrote:

In my case it was clearly a manufacturing fault and not caused by over excursion. Rather annoyingly the other bass driver in the other speaker developed the same fault a couple of years later.
By that time it was out of warranty and I had to fork out £100 for a new 8" bass driver to be shipped over from America.
Both replacement drivers have been playing fine for 10 years plus now so it was probably a problem with the adhesive being used at the time of original manufacture on that batch. I still have the second faulty unit here somewhere.
It could be one of a number of things that's caused Jo bg's problem but I think a loose winding from the coil is quite possible.

I've experienced quite a few situations across - all pass bands - where the thermal rise has been sufficient enough for glue failure, but not coil failure.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 6:09am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by Wikl109 Wikl109 wrote:

In my case it was clearly a manufacturing fault and not caused by over excursion. Rather annoyingly the other bass driver in the other speaker developed the same fault a couple of years later.
By that time it was out of warranty and I had to fork out £100 for a new 8" bass driver to be shipped over from America.
Both replacement drivers have been playing fine for 10 years plus now so it was probably a problem with the adhesive being used at the time of original manufacture on that batch. I still have the second faulty unit here somewhere.
It could be one of a number of things that's caused Jo bg's problem but I think a loose winding from the coil is quite possible.

I've experienced quite a few situations across - all pass bands - where the thermal rise has been sufficient enough for glue failure, but not coil failure.

Yes - a few years ago a friend had a load of JBL 18's fail after 1 or 2 gigs (VRX system). It was put down to some "bad" adhesive on the coils...  

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2021 at 9:37am
Thanks to everyone who replied, I only got time to reach the warehouse yesterday to check them again.
Suspension is ok, spider looks still glued on both inner and outer side.

Actually tapping the cone there could be a little hi pitched noise, but so faint I can't say for sure if it's in the speaker or in my head.

Again I am sure I have been punishing these babies with hi levels and low hipass for years, so could be thermal glue failure as Toasty suggests?

I doubt I have been bottoming them, but could have slowly cooked them, this happened to the first two subs we built, the second pair that came later is still working fine, so could be a damage that happened over time and not on a single abuse - or different batches of speakers with different glue?

So these are going for a recone soon, I'll try and post some autopsy pics maybe we can understand what happened.
Thanks again for your help!

Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2021 at 4:12pm
Hi
So by pulling the cone totally outward you could feel some friction, in fact once opened they were loose and burned at the end. 
So I bottomed them Cry
Allready working on the solution, more boxes coming.
Thanks again for your collaboration!

Edited by Jo bg - 09 August 2021 at 4:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12