Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp for SD-18 in ES18BPH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozip_402 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp for SD-18 in ES18BPH
    Posted: 11 August 2021 at 3:33pm
Hi all,

we recently acquired some P.Audio SD-18 drivers and want to build our own techno soundsystem. We'll start with building four ES18BPH Subs with said drivers. Now I'm wondering what a proper amp would be to power this system. Since the drivers are 8 Ohm I would like to run two per channel in parallel at 4 Ohm.

Some amps that would be available to us for a decent price would be:
- QSC 5050a
- Crown XLS 5000
- Pronomic XA-1400

Would any of the listed amps work for our plans or would we need something completely different? Thanks in advance for your advice!
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2021 at 5:49pm
QSC RMX 5050a could be a nice choice. 
Are we talking new amps or used?
ozip_402 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozip_402 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2021 at 10:53am
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

QSC RMX 5050a could be a nice choice. 
Are we talking new amps or used?

The QSC Amp would be almost new, bought last year and only installed for home cinema purposes. I've read that it's not particularly recommended to get used amps with more than 10 years of utilization as some parts may reach the end of their life span in heavy use and also dust in the inside could be an issue. So the QSC looks rather solid in comparism.

So you'd say the QSC with 2x1800W at 4 Ohms would be sufficient to power the SD-18 with 800W RMS for techno music? I'm fairly certain that there will be not too many opportunities where we'll be able to fully crank up our subs but I don't want to buy twice if you know what I mean :D
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2021 at 11:02am
Dust can be cleaned. Not an issue there Smile
But 10years service life, thats a bit underestimated. 

Take a look at the good old Crown Macrotechs. Still going Strong.

But i think you would be fine with the 5050a. Its a good Amp.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2021 at 11:12am
I have 2x Macrotech MA3600VZ for sale.

Amps are in UK, London.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply