Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fane 2x12 Mid Horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2021 at 2:51am
Good luck Chris. One problem I had was finding the ts parameter's for the old fane speakers. Maybe someone on here has them interweb didn't come up for me.
This is how prototype 3 ended up looking. 

Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2021 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Chris LDN Chris LDN wrote:

Has anyone built, or heard the 2x12 mid horn, on pages 40-41, of the Fane "Loudspeaker Enclosure Design and Construction" book?

Link to the plan here:

http://hornplans.free.fr/2x12%20front%20horn%20loaded.jpg

Interested to hear what anyone thinks, if anyone's done any Hornresp simulations, if you've heard them, or built them?

Lots of dodgy angles though - might make the build difficult.

Beautiful design and construction from Doller . But , just for clarity ,what frequencys do you want  to cover, because integrating multiple different boxes together is a whole thing in itself.

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 14 August 2021 at 3:19pm
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
Chris LDN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris LDN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2021 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by doller doller wrote:

Good luck Chris. One problem I had was finding the ts parameter's for the old fane speakers. Maybe someone on here has them interweb didn't come up for me.
This is how prototype 3 ended up looking.

Thank you doller, and apologies for getting your name wrong the first time.

You've done a fantastic job with that cabinet! Have you go a build thread? I really love how you've done all the curves. Certainly makes it a sexier looking cabinet. Do you know if the holes in the bracing have any effect of the sound. I remember reading a thread, where someone was able to get a cabinet to play lower, by cutting holes/ports, in the bracing.

Originally posted by Tinnitus Rex Tinnitus Rex wrote:

Beautiful design and construction from Doller . But , just for clarity ,what frequencys do you want to cover, because integrating multiple different boxes together is a whole thing in itself.

Hi Tinnitus Rex. The Fane book, claims a "useable frequency" of 200 Hz, to 1.5 kHz. The metadata page of the book, also include a frequency response plot, showing a slight dip before 200 Hz, and a sharp decline after 1 kHz, loaded with Fane Studio 12B.

The Jensen Imperials that I'm hoping to match, claim a useable frequency response, up to 500 Hz.

I'm hoping to use the Fane cabinets above, between 200 Hz, and approximately 1 kHz.

Like I wrote above, these plans aren't set in stone. The only thing set in stone at the moment, is the building of eight Jensen Imperial scoops, of the Decware half width variety.

I thought I would request thoughts, anecdotes, and ideas, about this cabinet, as I've seen on my searches, that information on this cabinet is sparse. Even though they're an old design, I find that a bit odd, as thousands of these cabinets must've been made, over the years. The only reason I can think of, that the information is sparse, is that the dodgy angles must've put a few budding operators off?!

If I build these, I think I will build a external "sleeve" (if you will), to avoid the dodgy outside angles, and facilitate the placement of handles, without detrating from the look, or the horn path. Doing such, should also provide extra bracing, with the downside of making the box heavier in weight.

Edited by Chris LDN - 14 August 2021 at 4:56pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2021 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Chris LDN Chris LDN wrote:

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

https://www.hometheatershack.com/threads/hornresp-for-dum-hmm-everyone.36532/

Have at it. There's not a lot to the design, although take any data from Hornresp >1000 Hz with a pinch of salt.

Unfortunately, Hornresp is limited to the Windows operating system - which I don't use, nor do I know anyone personally who does (unless they're keeping it a tight secret).

Can't use Wine, as I'm not using an x86/x64 device either.

If I knew the step by step maths Hornresp uses, I could knock up something myself, but the author doesn't want to divulge, last time I looked. It's a shame, as reading the history of Hornresp, the author created the original in Fortran - so he would be able to release a cross platform version, if he so desired.

David is retired and already updates Hornresp far more than you might expect. I’d think that a rewrite would be a fairly big job from the current language - the FORTRAN version was run on punch cards!

That said, you’re in luck because Wine 6.0.1 will run x86 and x64 apps on M1 Macs via Rosetta 2:
https://www.winehq.org/announce/6.0.1
Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2021 at 8:17pm
 Just my opinion, I have never liked a 2" crossed over at anything lower than 1k6, I prefer 2k5 because my graphic eq says so. it may well be difficult to get a mid box to go up that high, hense lowering the 2" to meet it . Most horn mids seem to vanish at 1k6 which is why F1  went for a front pointing "axe head device" on a smaller 8"cone @ 455hz-5k7hz (having a crossover point exactly where our ears are most sensitive has always been a bad idea.)  . Trying to get a mid going down to 200hz  at the expense of upper frequencys is a problem ,overlapping creates more problems .Danley , intuitively may well be the "promised land".
BUT ,Practically none of this actually matters unless we are so OCD we fall into a HiFi vortex.
Speaker placement has the biggest effects on perceived sound quality and the less separate cabinets and the less sound exit points the better.
That was the long way round  to suguest having a co-entrant horn ,rather than a co-exit horn.
Stuck in audio barracks causes the mind to wander. Happy Saturday one and all. 
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
Chris LDN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris LDN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2021 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

David is retired and already updates Hornresp far more than you might expect. I’d think that a rewrite would be a fairly big job from the current language - the FORTRAN version was run on punch cards!

That said, you’re in luck because Wine 6.0.1 will run x86 and x64 apps on M1 Macs via Rosetta 2: https://www.winehq.org/announce/6.0.1

I'm using a Raspberry Pi, not a Mac - although I do have an M1 Mac, so I'll check that out. Thanks.

Regardless of his age, or employment status, perhaps he could consider releasing the source code to Hornresp under an open source licence. Especially if he's not deriving income from sales. Or, work with another programmer to port it to other platforms.

Otherwise, when he's gone, Hornresp goes with him, and becomes another example of fantastic software, lost to abandonment!
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 6:13am
Thank Chris. The curves are more for bracing and ease of construction. One single piece instead of 5 separate cuts with funny angles. The box also becomes rock solid natural bracing. No so hard to do after a few practice runs.
The fane book also says up to 110dbw with the rite speaker. That is really loud even by todays standards. I think. With three stacked, would think 8x scoops would struggle to keep up. Again could be wrong. 
What 2inch are you thinking about? 
Don't worry about the name thing it's spelt incorrectly. I know.
I am actually half way into a similar kind of stack at the moment. 115s, big ass mid horns to a 2inch then super tweeter. Heavy and cumbersome  but loving how it sounds.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2021 at 2:27pm

No excuses!!

Thumbs Up

Edited by APW - 15 August 2021 at 2:29pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2021 at 11:43am

With regards to him releasing the source under an open-source licence, he may not be able to as some of the source could “possibly” be licenced IP from another developer…

… Developers often purchase licences for third party code libraries, this gives the developer rights to use the licenced code in any application they develop, however they are not allowed publish the source code or pass code containing the library onto third parties without the permission of the licensor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12