Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8x EV 15L - need your oppinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebellungen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

The original poster doesn't say how old his drivers were, from memory, the early ones were rated at just 100w. I believe that increased with later models.

Interesting thing about these, i think the 2.5 inch coil must be in a very tight gap,which obviously helps the sensitivity, but every one i have owned, the cone excusion allways feels 'rough', as if the coil is rubbing, yet they all play well when in a cabinet.   Thumbs Up

hey jbl_man , all my drivers are the old non proline 200 watt rms version ( at least i think) i want to
wire them up in 4 ohm pairs , my amping is still a big ? , i will get to that when i finished the caps. 
for testing i can use 2x yamaha p1600.
for all other people , i know the material i own is not nearly anywhere "pro".
i just wanna have fun & a fairly good sounding rig for private parties. no need for huge bass orgies / 8x 2000 watt subs. 
just in it for the fun
nebellungen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebellungen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by doller doller wrote:

Seems like they changed quite a lot over the years. I  said what I said because I read the manual. In there it says 400w. If you want to use them to 40hz cover the ports to stop them bottoming out. Designs are available if you can find them. Also recommended amp  400 to 800w. 
That said who knows what the op has.

sadly i own the old non proline models with 200 watt rms.
when i buy the amp , i want to buy one that can drive 8x the pro version with 400 watts each comfy.
i dont plan on killing my speakers , but if one dies , the recone kits are only aviable in the pro version so i want to plan for that.
using them as subs , i will be limited by xmax anyway , or else i will just kill them fast imo. i wanna be gentle to them.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 12:05pm
I’ve sent you a PM if you can access them yet on this site?

Otherwise drop me a PM on facebook: www.Guildford cable company.co.uk

Edited by RoadRunnersDust - 25 August 2021 at 12:06pm
nebellungen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebellungen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

I’ve sent you a PM if you can access them yet on this site?

Otherwise drop me a PM on facebook: www.Guildford cable company.co.uk

ahh , right now iam on mobile because iam in the process of moving flats. 
i will get to it once that is finished. 
and thank you for your help & sharing your knowledge / experience. ! :)

Edited by nebellungen - 25 August 2021 at 4:46pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2021 at 11:26am
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Not really, ‘up to 600Wrms safely’ means what it says and that’s absolutely pigshite.

That’s like saying “up to 1million” and then backtracking to “I meant 200… that’s in there on the way up!” 🙄

Asserting you have fed them that and they survived unharmed is also misinformed pigshite.

I refer to my previous comments, an amplifier rated at 600Wrms doesn’t mean you’re feeding your speakers anywhere near 600Wrms. Go and learn what crest-factor means as you obviously don’t understand the relationship between signal content and speaker power.

You can’t feed them 60-120Hz on a 500w/8R amplifier with something the crest-factor of live music without them getting beaten up, let alone a setup capable of feeding them anything close to 600Wrms.

You’re either deeply misinformed or knowingly bullshitting, are you sure you shouldn’t be posting in the scoop section?

I see I've touched a nerve because all now you haven't said if you tried it or not. Yet, you are cursing left right and center LOL  

All you are saying it can't be done. Meanwhile, I've used 8 EVM 15B Series II loudspeakers on 2 QSC EX 4000 Amplifiers from 60 Hz on up from 1990's - 2000 and, never lost a driver. I retired the drivers once I upgraded to the QSC PL 6.0 and upgraded the top boxes.

Argument is done. Go play Chess. Obviously, your knowledge is solely based upon reading specification sheets and, have no real world experience in regards to the EVM 15 L and EVM 15 B.

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2021 at 1:47pm
No, I've never been so bloody stupid as to try it.

Why would I damage my difficult and expensive to repair equipment proving a point to ill-informed gimps on the internet?

I can fairly well guarantee that you've never actually metered the Voltage*Current function of them though so your assertation that you've delivered the power is totally baseless.

Once again, go discover what crest-factor means. If you want to dick-swing about doorstops, I ran mine from an SR-707 for a long time until moving to light-weight amplifiers. Doesn't change the laws of physics.

The argument was done after my first post. Everything you've said since demonstrates you haven't a clue Clap

Go cry to the admins about the swearing, pigshite being spread about by idiots is called pigshite. If they don't like it they can update the filter. Meanwhile I'll continue having fun playing with my EVMs that I apparently don't own or use LOL
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2022 at 12:04pm
i am not sure how much the wood increased in price at your place, 

before i build cabs for those ( midrange ) drivers, i would test every speaker for magnetization, if you have one in the chain which got hits in the last decades it will not deliver the motor force and you will end up with a recone,

sometimes its just better to get new drivers imo, considering the cost of the wood + manpower building them
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123