Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini Discs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini Discs
    Posted: 18 September 2021 at 11:28am
Just in the process of sorting through my massive collection of CDs as I am going to have a big clearout over the winter prior to moving house next year.
Can anyone help with suggestions of getting the best deal for the CD albums and I have also come across 150 or so Mini Discs that have albums recorded on them along with some packs of brand new Sony Mini Discs.
I didn't really want to use Ebay due to the quantity involved---Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated--Cheers--John.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 11:02am
Selling cds is probably not worth the effort, except for rarities - local Marketplace, Gumtree and similar sites are full of people offloading cds and dvds as people turn more to streaming and home servers and the like. I gave all my vinyl singles away a few years back to a friend of Pasi who used to post regularly on this forum - some were probably worth a few pounds each but would have been a pain to sell individually.
On a similar vein, I have been experimenting with ripping my reggae cds to a portable hdd so I have access to them on my home network. I have been using a freebie app called Media Monkey but I'm going to buy the Premium version (wot, pay for software?!) because it provides extra functionality that I could use. That still leaves the 1,000 or more cds sitting on my hifi unit and in big cardboard boxes in my garage (where they have been for the last 8 years) - but that is a job for the next lockdown.
Hope this helps.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 11:19am
Check discogs to see if you got some rarities that are worth selling one by one (some rare and wanted cd can go for high prices). Put them on sale a bit below the mean price and they should go fast. For the rest... good luck
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 12:43pm
"150 or so Mini Discs that have albums recorded on them along with some packs of brand new Sony Mini Discs."

Funilly enough, I had a "mariachi" type here the other day that needed his PA looking over as it was giving him problems. To my surprise, he was still using a minidisc player for his backing tracks! Very unusual, but shows that they are still out there.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 4:41pm
It is still possible to buy mini discs and players. Info here: 

Edited by jazomir - 20 September 2021 at 4:42pm
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by jazomir jazomir wrote:

It is still possible to buy mini discs and players. Info here: 

Alright.

There actually doesn't seem to be any shortage of the discs - plenty advertised out there.

And they seem to hold their value:-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303846713084?hash=item46beace6fc:g:SfUAAOSwp69f~6aM

Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2021 at 9:25pm

The late DJ Derek (Google him if you don't know) used
minidiscs exclusively for the last 15 years of his life.

He'd turn up with his two portable players and rock the
house.

Makes me feel v elderly to know that I'm 5 years older
than him when he passed back in 2013.

Edited by BJtheDJ - 20 September 2021 at 9:26pm
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2021 at 11:52am
To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised at the prices that minidiscs fetch nowadays--The Cds could do with going in one joblot as there are a large quantity along with lots of Disco type CD singles that belonged to my daughter.
Having a sort out has done me a big favour as I have come across my old Vinyl albums which include some of the greatest rock acts along with some unplayed Led Zeppelin albums autographed by Robert Plant.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2021 at 12:54pm
"some unplayed Led Zeppelin albums autographed by Robert Plant."

Now that should be worth something!!  Smile

And any minidiscs with (rare) bootleg recordings? Some of those also go for stupid prices.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2021 at 10:34am
No bootleg mini discs as they are all albums that we had recorded.
We used to use Mini Discs a lot back in the day as they did not skip on bass frequencies like CDs did when using high volume levels to test and EQ big touring PA systems.
I do have a lot of 4 track reel to reel recordings of many well known acts as we used to record a lot of live shows on a Tascam(with the artists permission of course) but obviously these will never see the light of day which is a shame as some of them are that good that they could be put out as live albums.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2021 at 11:27am
"but obviously these will never see the light of day which is a shame as some of them are that good that they could be put out as live albums."

Contact the artistes/copyright holder/s. You never know. A lot of value in nostalgia!!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2021 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

The late DJ Derek (Google him if you don't know) used
minidiscs exclusively for the last 15 years of his life.

He'd turn up with his two portable players and rock the
house.

Makes me feel v elderly to know that I'm 5 years older
than him when he passed back in 2013.

Had the pleasure of having Derek play down at a stage at Bestival many years ago...rocked up with his minidiscs and tore the house down... I loved his sneaky " fag breaks" as he rushed out back for a quick smoke without anyone noticing ! RIP

Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
 Post Reply Post Reply