Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&C 18" in FANE reflex cab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B&C 18" in FANE reflex cab
    Posted: 23 September 2021 at 7:39am
Hi Guys,

Any opinons/advice on loading this classic Fane 200 litre 18" enclosure with B&C 18DS115. I believe they are really great sounding drivers with next generation tech.

Current cabs are Ligwa built and current drivers are Ligwa OEM 18" with unknown spec (as I was never supplied with the specs unfortunately) when I purchased from him. Ligwa assured me ports were tuned to the box correctly. Boxes sound good, but I'm considering upgrading to these high quality drivers.

Are they suitable and would extra bracing be essential?

I have 8 sub enclosures, and it's a reggae sound system.

Thanks

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2021 at 9:02am
The 18DS115 is definitely a neat driver but imho not a fit for the fane design.
The fane has around 320 cm2 port area, for a DS115 you would need something like Sd/2 of port area.
Other port option would be a curved/laminar one same as L'acoustics KS21/28 etc.
Besides that, yes a lot of bracing is needed for such drivers.
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2021 at 10:04am
As mentioned, two major problems:

- Ports too small. Velocity way too high at 60m/s++ at 3.4Kw (yes, they can soak up the power). Your best bet is to either make a new cabinet with 2x ports of 200mm+ or 4x port of 140mm+. They will be around 500mm long @ 40hz tune, so would likely not fit in the Fane regardless.

- Bracing is very poor on this design. No bracing on top / bottom panels? I would expect excessive flex when loaded hard. I would want the horizontal bracing on all sides and potentially 36mm baffle given the amount of vent cutout.

If you want to have big modern drivers, and have the amplifier power to drive them - my preference would be for a modified G sub cabinet. It's possible to modify the existing Fanes, but you'd really be wasting those drivers in there. Happy to help with either option.

Edited by infrasound - 23 September 2021 at 10:05am
yat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2021 at 11:22am
Thanks for the quick replies guys

Was just putting it out there, to see if there were any red flags and clearly there are it seems!
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2021 at 2:37pm
If you want to build something, I would look at a slot port instead of round ones.
With a slot port adjacent to a wall, you will end up with a shorter port and thus make it easier to fit the large port in the cab. If interested, I have a quite simple drawing of a single 18" BR somewhere. It has a large 600cm2 port and is around 260L external volume.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2021 at 9:20pm
How low should it go? 

Ricci ckram is designed for 21", but you could just load with 18" instead.....
30 Hz tuning.....

Friend has one with 21ds115, it's a fun box, stack of 8 should hit hard, if you are able to power them properly.

But what is the price differential in your market between 18ds115 and 21ds115? Maybe power/displacement density would be worth consideration? A major advantage of the ds115 drivers is the ability to offset  small cabinet volume with motor force and input power to obtain relatively strong sub output from undersized boxes. Also see user "crashpc"s various threads and posts on this very forum, he has been an early advocate of this approach. 

Edited by bob4 - 23 September 2021 at 9:22pm
yat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2021 at 2:58am
I'm not planning to buid any new boxes yet, but the most feasibile option for me is to upgrade the drivers -any suggestions as to what would give the best results with my current cabs?
 Post Reply Post Reply