Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best cabinets for Subs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkelBaslo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best cabinets for Subs?
    Posted: 02 October 2021 at 2:36pm
Hi!
Newbie here; I'm so used to seeing scoops in use in most Sound Systems (Dub involved mainly) for the subs, altough ultimately I've been reading some people suggesting this is becoming obsolete.

What are some more efficient designs for the low frequencies?

I'm personally not only interested in 18" drivers cabinets, but also 14", as got some subs of this size that could also benefit some properly adjusted cabinets.

Thank you for your help!
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2021 at 8:07pm
The reason you haven't got a response up to yet is probably because you need to do more research there is a wealth of info in this forum and on social media the topic has been done to death in some shape or form, the only thing that is missing from the forum is a Paraflex section.
Soundbite
Amphibia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amphibia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2021 at 7:15am
We're just embarking on a build of 4 x XOC1 TH-18's. If you google that, there is a thread on DIY Audio that is extensive.

Great learning in reading through that too.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2021 at 9:42am
Originally posted by djkeet djkeet wrote:

The reason you haven't got a response up to yet is probably because you need to do more research there is a wealth of info in this forum and on social media the topic has been done to death in some shape or form, the only thing that is missing from the forum is a Paraflex section.

Is one needed? It’s just a variant on a quarter-wave resonator. I don’t see dedicated forums for Transmission Lines, Tapped Horns, and other types that have been around way longer. In fact the only example that’s in favour of a dedicated section is the scoop one, since scoops (aka rear-loaded horns) behave as a transmission line at the lower range of operation … but we all know how that section goes

There is no best sub for all things. It all depends on your use case; scalability, tonality, frequency response, output, ease of processing and amp load, etc.
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2021 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Is one needed? It’s just a variant on a quarter-wave resonator. I don’t see dedicated forums for Transmission Lines, Tapped Horns, and other types that have been around way longer.

This is just my opinion probably a transferable skill I use to have when reading the crowd as a dj A lot of the time when things are dismissed it's because it makes folk uncomfortable when all that is needed is an open mind in creating a name for a sub group
Soundbite
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 9:09am
Having listened to a bunch of them and measured a few, I am actually personally a little uncomfortable with trading all of the extension and most of the fundamental notes for intensely overblown harmonics. The C2E GF is 13 dB down on a XoC TH18 at 30 Hz, but is a bigger box. It’s like building a permanent Waves MaxxBass

They are easy to screw together though, and not having any real sub does alleviate noise complaints from illegal raves.

That aside, none of the other-older & more established-forms of quarter-wave resonator get their own section, nor do more traditional arrangements such as bandpass or reflex. If the forum owners fancy spreading the already low member numbers here even further out, then it would make sense to have special sections for the base concepts first, no?
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2021 at 2:10am

Having listened to a bunch of them and measured a few, I am actually personally a little uncomfortable with trading all of the extension and most of the fundamental notes for intensely overblown harmonics. The C2E GF is 13 dB down on a XoC TH18 at 30 Hz, but is a bigger box. It’s like building a permanent Waves MaxxBass

They are easy to screw together though, and not having any real sub does alleviate noise complaints from illegal raves.

That aside, none of the other-older & more established-forms of quarter-wave resonator get their own section, nor do more traditional arrangements such as bandpass or reflex. If the forum owners fancy spreading the already low member numbers here even further out, then it would make sense to have special sections for the base concepts first, no?

I agree on the 'concepts first' not all that you write is codswapplop I do get the impression that the PFlex subs operate in a narrow band. My only reservation is that they could be anything between 250-300LB in weight but I Like how the designs are evolving. I did try to pose a PWR Question on fb similar to what you have for amps, cars etc in relation to this but it was thrown out by the mods I think as a silly Q that could derail the King wearing shoes

Edited by djkeet - 09 October 2021 at 2:12am
Soundbite
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2021 at 10:35am

Is one needed? It’s just a variant on a quarter-wave resonator. I don’t see dedicated forums for Transmission Lines, Tapped Horns, and other types that have been around way longer.

This is just my opinion probably a transferable skill I use to have when reading the crowd as a dj A lot of the time when things are dismissed it's because it makes folk uncomfortable when all that is needed is an open mind in creating a name for a sub group

This.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply