Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steel flange onto compression driver?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twintub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steel flange onto compression driver?
    Posted: 13 October 2021 at 9:43am
Can anyone tell me if this is an absolute no no? I'm far into a multi cell cluster horn build and only just thought this might be an issue. I'm guessing it will weaken the magnetic field slightly. Flange mass is 0.42 kg. Was going to eventually ebay a pair to see if there's much interest but don't know if I've dropped a bollock. Any advice please?
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 8:30am
It's not generally the done thing, alluminium or more recently molded plastic seems to be the standard for the flange, that said i have seen a welded steel pipe manifold made to couple a pair of drivers to a multicell, and it seemed to work, although, as you say, the steelwork cant be doing the magnetic field any favours.

Can you not machine a flange from ali?
Be seeing you.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 8:51am
Most measurements of horns are done using steel impedance tubes and adapters, often several millimetres thick.

Just make sure the inner expansion of the tube is appropriate for the horn profile. You may even want to do a little wave shaping with the entrance shape.
Twintub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twintub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 11:05am
Thanks for the feedback. With minor destruction and expense I could replace for Ali and hope araldite makes good (I noticed your jbl) was listening to these with old 2445j drivers and the 'S' sounds in vocals are quite pronounced. Could this be another issue with the horn?
Twintub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twintub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 11:28am
Sorry missed this one. Is the impedance tube the same as for the plane wave testing? Steel might be ok then.
I'm not sure about inner expansion tube. The flare was done in 10 stages (of about 40mm) with the 1st stage morphing round area to rectangular area where the cells meet
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 1:23pm
"listening to these with old 2445j drivers and the 'S' sounds in vocals are quite pronounce".

It might also be diaphragm issues there, if the 's' silibants sound wrong, are they genuine, or aftermarket ones?
Be seeing you.
Twintub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twintub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 2:28pm
Unfortunately don't know their history. Diaphragm has diamond suspension but the only marking is a circle with 11 in it on plastic surround.

Was meaning to find a coil that will roll it off past 10khz and see if that helps.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 7:10pm
I don't think it should cause an issue to bolt onto a steel flange.  The magnetic circuit is concentrated inside the compression driver.
 Post Reply Post Reply