Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compakt Sound System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compakt Sound System
    Posted: 20 October 2021 at 8:04pm

This is a 12v system I built over lockdown this year. I used designs from other posts in the 12v section, big thanks for all the info!
I’ve had it out a fair bit over the summer, either on a bike trailer using one tham and a pa top, or using the full system with my 240v amp rack from another system.

I’m struggling to get my mini dsp (the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini) to sound good. It makes horrible noises as soon as I turn it up loud. I don’t really understand how to set it up and have spent a long time fiddling with it without really getting anywhere. Even if I don’t change anything from the factory settings and play it without any crossover settings through a pa speaker the same thing happens.

Everything sounds perfect when I use either the 2 way crossover in the 12v amps or when I use my amp rack.

I’ve tried powering the dsp of a different power supply and the problem persists.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 1:12am
You may be overdriving the inputs or outputs. 

Hook up the conputer and monitor the signal levels when you have it cranked up, if somthing is clipping that will sound bad. 
samsk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 9:50am

My setup is: audio into a Behringer 302 USB Xenyx Mixer (as it’s lightweight and usb powered), then through a Behringer MICROHD Hum Destroyer HD400 and into the mini-dsp. From the dsp into Pioneer GM-D8704 and a Juice Car Audio JA1504 (1500w).

The Thams are loaded with RCF LF12G301 (12" 450W 8 Ohm).

Mids are Beyma SM110/N (10" 200W 8 Ohm) and horns are P-Audio BM-D26 Mk2 (30W 1" Throat Compression Driver).

I'm having trouble uploading images but you can see the system on: http://https://www.instagram.com/compaktsystem/ - http://https://www.instagram.com/compaktsoundsystem/

samsk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 9:50am
Thanks Conanski, I'll have a look into this and post some screen shots of the dsp
samsk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 9:54am
" border="">
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 11:02am
The fact it’s fully reset to factory settings could be a problem maybe? If there’s no filters set on each element of the system they might be attempting to all play full range. Just an idea
Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by samsk samsk wrote:

My setup is: audio into a Behringer 302 USB Xenyx Mixer (as it’s lightweight and usb powered), then through a Behringer MICROHD Hum Destroyer HD400 and into the mini-dsp. From the dsp into Pioneer GM-D8704 and a Juice Car Audio JA1504 (1500w).

What are you using to power your mixer?. I'm guessing something like a 12v USB phone charger? 

I would be looking there first, maybe your 12v USB charger/PSU doesn't have enough grunt, also some of these chargers are very noisy. 

I thought maybe when you use the amp rack, you are using a different (mains powered) USB PSU for the mixer. so the problem goes away? That should give a clue if the USB PSU is the problem or something else.

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 21 October 2021 at 2:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply