Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo … Again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cubo … Again
    Posted: 13 November 2021 at 1:05pm
Hi everyone.
You’ve probably been asked this a dozen times over the years so sorry but here we go again ….
I run a PA System that after 40yrs touring is a retirement toy to stop me going mad. I have 20K incorporating 12 6th order Bandpass boxes. These are brilliant indoors but 95% of anything I do is outside and these boxes tail off after 15/18m.
I saw a couple of Cubos at work the other day and although the aren’t dedicated subs (mainly kick bins I think) they sounded like something that would do the job. On the subject of subs I don’t do Raves or DJ work only live bands which doesn’t command the heavy weight bottom end sound that Rave and DJ work does. Also I have medical issues and I’ve seen some fantastic boxes that are to heavy for me nowadays.
So does anyone have any of these for sale or can anyone recommend a builder? Should I go for the extended versions or the standard bearing in mind I have new B&C 15 NW100’s here to put in them?
I’d really appreciate any advice I can get as I have never used these and 12 is a lot to buy if they are wrong.
I’d also be so appreciative if I could find a CNC cutting program.
Thanks for your help. Feel free to email me directly on rig.hire@aol.com.

Edited by CP1 - 13 November 2021 at 1:08pm
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2021 at 9:19am
They sound quite nice on live stuff. Drums and guitars kinda thing. Tech and rave type stuff I really don't like them. Delays don't seem to improve the sound. Mine are eminence loaded 8x. With other drivers I really don't know. They don't have much throw as such. If your audience can get next to the stacks they work well. I like them with live. Hard dance type stuff forget it. Just my opinion could be wrong.
With neo drivers they are much easier to move, ferrite makes them a tad heavy.  Easy to build without cnc work.
I have measured mine (15 extended) not a lot under 60hz. Magnet in and out of the mouth. No change really.
CP1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2021 at 9:29am
Thank you so much for your reply. It confirms what I thought was the case.
Although I don’t do DJ or Rave work (a old age thing!!) I still need a decent amount of throw and a solid bass so I think I have to look elsewhere.
Once again thank you.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2021 at 11:44am
Before you start spending lots of money making other boxes I would take a close look at why your current bass cabs are not travelling.

There is nothing inherent in any format of bass/sub cab that makes it “throw” better than any other type other than phase response, impulse response and radiating area. Directivity is ( in broad strokes) formed by the latter.

So, things like cabinet panel flex, system time alignment and placement will make or ruin any well designed subwoofer.

Our premium touring system ( L acoustics Kara II, SB18) is 6th order bandpass based in the 100-32Hz range and trust me, that has NO trouble throwing…so perhaps re-visit your system tuning and deployment before throwing lots of cash into a project with an unknown outcome 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2021 at 10:12am
Those L.A boxes are just the nuts  Two give out silly amounts of bass always gobsmacked. Here a small LA system 150 thousand dollars with the amps. Oww! Cubos are not anywhere close in any respect. 
I wouldn't build anymore cubos Just don't sound how I want. But as said my opinion. If I was looking for a live setup. Easy to use. Maybe used Meyer Sound Or EAW. I think they do Rock etc. Very well
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2021 at 1:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply