Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reggae Preamp, how do they work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reggae Preamp, how do they work?
    Posted: 01 December 2021 at 1:13am
I've got some questions about preamps. I know there is another thread just started on preamps, but I don't want to hijack it with my questions.

The way I understand preamps is that it enables you to control each type of speaker in the stack directly? So you can adjust the kick, sub, highF speaker boxes individually? Compared to simply just controlling the frequencies on a regular dj mixer?

Lets say I use the full range output on a preamp and connect to a dsp, and let the dsp do X-overs, time align, limiters etc. Does the preamp now loose it's function?

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2021 at 2:50am
Short answer is yes. The preamp in this case replaces a mixer, crossover, and EQ and allows the DJ to alter some parameters on the fly that normally wouldn't be changed, but it's all in the name of achieving a specific sound. Years ago sombody here measured a famous Reggae preamp and it was quite revealing, with all controls in the neutral position the output response that was nowhere near flat, but then this genre is more an artform and the tools used are as much an instrument as they are a piece of equipment, so the usual best practices of sound reinforcement don't apply.
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2021 at 10:58am
It vastly depends on the design of the pre amp as well

My Sage, has a DSP inside, that has AES digital output

So I can adjust the crossover points as I see fit, then change polarity and add time delay etc...

Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2021 at 8:52am
@Sinai

Is Sage the only company that makes Premaps with DSP? I think Sage stopped making preamps.

So, if I can forego adjusting crossover points, are there ways to still do time alignment? etc. Maybe using amps with built in DSP? Then run each out to a to a DSP amp.

I guess I'm trying to figure out how I can get the best of both "worlds", new and old, if possible.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2021 at 4:10am
Originally posted by Maze Maze wrote:

I guess I'm trying to figure out how I can get the best of both "worlds", new and old, if possible. 
Well the thing is if a crossover frequency is changed then any time or phase alignment you have setup must also change. If you want technical accuracy these things are more of a set and don't touch type of thing. 
 Post Reply Post Reply