Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

amplifier thermal cut out... what happened?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amplifier thermal cut out... what happened?
    Posted: 09 December 2021 at 5:04pm
hi there, i'm hoping somone here can shed some light on something strange.

i sold an amp yesterday, a behringer NX6000
it has been driving my martin S15's with no problem.

we met at my friends warehouse where i was setting up some speakers.
he arrived, and i asked if he wanted to see it working, as i had my speakers in the van.
he said no, i said that he should at least see that it turns on. we plugged it in and it indeed turned on fine.

now, he is saying that it doesn't turn on properly, and just cuts out after a second (thermal cut out)

obviously it was not doing this in my possession, so i'm wondering what might have happened in between me selling and him telling me this...?

is anyone familiar with causes of thermal cut outs?

could he have bashed it around in his car? the NX can't do 2 ohm loads, so maybe he plugged in 2ohm speakers - could this have damaged it in some way?

any thoughts appreciated.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2021 at 10:44pm
If the amp is shutting off 1 sec after being turned on it is not becuse of thermal protection(overheating), it's either due to shorted speaker wires or drivers or there is an internal fault in the amp. Disconnect everything from the amp and try it, if it still happens the problem is inside the amp. 
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2021 at 2:31pm
Do you have any way of checking that the amp that's faulty is
the same amp that you sold ??

Internally marked ?   Serial number ?
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2021 at 10:23am
no but good point. i could recognise it though.
msoundsystem View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2021 at 3:55pm
Pm me the name of the guy. I would like to see if its the same guy who tried it on with me in a simlar situation... possibly not but might be.... Smile
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2021 at 4:18pm
Too many scammers around.

One guy bought an amp off me via a local second hand site here. The amp was practically new, hardly used. He then tried to say that it was damaged & didn't work etc. He sent me photos of a similar amp - obviously well used & damaged.

Luckily I had plenty of photos of the thing - and the site came down on my side. You can never be too careful.   Angry

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2021 at 6:15pm
  I had a problem with one of my nx6000's where it would power up as normal but within a second it would go back into protect (on both channels), it had a new power supply board fitted under warranty. Apparently there was a bad batch of diodes that affected some of these amps.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2021 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Too many scammers around.

One guy bought an amp off me via a local second hand site here. The amp was practically new, hardly used. He then tried to say that it was damaged & didn't work etc. He sent me photos of a similar amp - obviously well used & damaged.

Luckily I had plenty of photos of the thing - and the site came down on my side. You can never be too careful.   Angry

I had a message last week from someone that I'd sold an amp to complaining that it had recently blown up, I sold the amp to them in full working order TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO!! Wacko  
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2021 at 1:21pm
thanks for all your comments re: scamming... i sort of don't think it is a scam as he paid cash?

i'm definitely going to make sure to mark serial numbers down next time, and take pics.

thankfully, i think i'm safe because he paid cash - so no chance of a return/refund. so far he hasn't asked for one either.
 Post Reply Post Reply