Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo 15 build question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Deckley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cubo 15 build question
    Posted: 14 January 2022 at 7:57pm
Hi guys

First post on the forum so hope this is in the right place... 

Basically im currently half way through my first attempt at a speaker build (Cubo 15 loaded with Kappapro-15lf-2) and have just cut out the baffle hole based on the diameter shown on the drivers spec sheet. My woodworking skill is questionable at best and out of fear of over-shooting I've cut the diameter about 5mm short of what is recommended. Will this be an issue when it comes to loading the driver or cause any noticeable acoustic difference?? 

I don't actually have the driver with me at this time and so im also concerned about finishing the build and then having issues with loading it as I cant mark out/drill the mounting holes until it arrives. 

Any help/general advice appreciated! :) 

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 9:52pm
It won't be an issue if mounting the driver frame out but you won't be able to flip the driver around. 
BTW... use the cubo extended mod if intending to use these as subs. 

Edited by Conanski - 14 January 2022 at 9:54pm
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 7:56am
My experience with Cubo15 (and i was the first one to build the Extra Extended as it was designed for me), there really isnt much difference with magnet facing in, compared to magnet facing out. 
Just remember to connect the positive Wire to the negative terminal if having the magnet out.

You can alter the sound by adding a little wadding inside. Especially on the panel sitting directly behind the driver. Trial and error is the best approach here Smile
J_Deckley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Deckley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 10:14am
Cheers for the responses guys! 

I was intending to mount the driver with the magnet visible, facing outwards into the horn mouth as the designer says this will give a lower bass response and better cooling. 
So I guess an extra 5mm round the diameter of the baffle hole will not be an issue and should mean there's adequate space to mark and drill the mounting holes when the driver arrives...  :) 
J_Deckley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Deckley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 10:18am
Do you recommend the extended version because of the driver I am using?? Or does just generally give a lower response? 

thx :)
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 4:02pm
As Cubo 15 doesnt go that low, i would also recommend magnet out.
But in real life usage, I had trouble hearing the difference.

I ended up with magnets out for the increased cooling.

My build ended up as two Cubo215. Loaded with PD154. 
They kicked like a mule, so no need to have the magnet inside to get the ekstra effiency.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 4:03pm
Standard, Extended or extra Extended depends on driver specs. You need to look that up or ask Johan the designer. 
 Post Reply Post Reply