Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another “help me spend my money” thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 6:00am
CODA do a 12" sub and a twin 8" that would seem to fit the bill.  The sub in particular is tiny for its output.  E-mailed for a quote and awaiting a response.
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 7:24am
2 x Q7 
2 x Q Sub
1 x D20 or 2 x D12

That's our go to small DJ system or function band PA.

Second hand D&B Prices are similar to new prices of Nexo so you may be able to make it work.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 9:23am
As always, I presume budget is an important factor in the decision and money is definitely an object?

What kind of cash do you want to spend? It's all well and good looking at systems like Nexo and the (very good) Coda stuff, but there's quite a price delta between those and the Ohm BR series.

Since transport space is at a premium too, do you want to be carrying separate amplifier racks and cable boxes?

The new wooden RCF 900 series has good phase and magnitude response, as well as having consistent directional behaviour, as shown in the Production Partner test. I've posted a link to that recently on here if you want to look it up. But that too is a system which will tip the scales at over £4000 with subs, poles and the like.

You've already got plenty of options, but here's another; the guys at Outline have some nice portable system packages which were quite well priced when I last checked pre-COVID:
https://solutions.outline.it/

Of course, the calculated 'max SPL' spec is pretty much best ignored - but that applies to any speaker which hasn't got an M-Noise or equivalent measured max SPL value listed on the spec sheet.

Another ‘left field’ option is Fulcrum.

We're a dealer for these, and they're really great sounding boxes with consistent coverage, compact size, powered or passive choices with amazing support for every DSP under the sun, and passive cardioid response if you want it. Plus they publish more data on the spec sheet than anyone else. I'd easily class them alongside a d&b box in terms of tone and ease of use.

This thing is crazy good, especially if you look at what’s inside, and there’s a huge choice of coverage patterns:
https://www.fulcrum-acoustic.com/product/ccx12-12-coaxial-cardioid-loudspeaker/
Here’s the self-powered stuff, including the passive cardioid 18” and 21” reflex boxes:
https://www.fulcrum-acoustic.com/product-category/fa-portable/

Shout me if you want some pricing; it’ll have a transatlantic lead time and some import duty, though.

Edited by toastyghost - 20 January 2022 at 9:32am
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 9:58am
Thank you for the suggestions.  I'll have a look.  Whilst money isn't limitless, so far I haven't found anything to be completely out of budget.  A Nexo PS10 and LS600 system is around £8k new and that is probably at the top end of what I want to spend.  I can't fit the LS600's easily in the car though!

All other things being equal I would pick separate amps over self-powered.  The systems I'm looking at all tend to be 2U of rack space for amp and processing and the extra cables over a powered system aren't a concern.  
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12