Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any ideas on EV Sx300 to update and enhance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt86ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any ideas on EV Sx300 to update and enhance
    Posted: 24 January 2022 at 3:29am
Hi all, I have the classic USA EV SX300 pair of speakers
lying in the attic room and I wonder can I make these sound amazing even sound better on clarity and pristine on vocals especially and also have the low end also,
with the world of technology around us now surely there has to be a 12" Driver out there suitable to use in these cabs,
even change out the horn if needs be,
anyone with ideas, did anyone even try this already
I was going to load with B&C 12" driver, but said I would ask here firstly, probably not possible, we wait and see,
at the moment I'm using Dynacord Powermax P5 PA system
15" tops F-150, F8 Bins, Dynacord PM2600 amp
if could use the EV Sx300 speakers with this rig, I could sometimes leave the 15"tops at home,
is any of this possible I wonder

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2022 at 5:00am
The short answer is no... don't waste your time or money. 
This box is what it is pretty much, it's not big enough to produce any real lowend and with the horn integrated into the baffle changing it isn't possible, so nothing you do will change the character of the box. There is some room to improve response linearity with modern DSP processing but you're not going to make it sound any better than a modern plastic powered box for example. 
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2022 at 4:56pm
I find this a bit of an odd request. The SX-300 was a very well regarded box back 20 years ago.
Yes they have no bottom end and would be no good for big crowds at an outdoor festival but for a compact box for close up venues they still sound rather good.
I've worked with many an acoustic act that used these and got a decent sound out of them. I once even worked with an act that used 4x SX-300's on stands in a very large (500+ capacity) function venue and they sounded fine.
These boxes (and the earlier SX-200) were often installed as infill speakers at nightclubs that often had very good PA's fitted.
To butcher a speaker like this would be a real shame.
If you want to do anything then as said above try applying some decent processing to get the most from them and use good quality amplification.
SX-500 On the other hand, not anywhere near as good.......
Cheers, Chris.
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2022 at 9:16pm
The S200 with the 18" ev bin sounded great back in the late 80's, fitted them in many "funpubs" back then.
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2022 at 9:51pm
Yes I think it was the Stage 100 & Stage 200 that were the boxes the SX range (System 2000 as I think EV called it) were derived from. I can't say i've ever knowingly heard any of those but I know people did rate them.
To the OP what I was basically saying above is that these are already very good quality speakers with good components fitted as standard.
Trying to 'upgrade' them is going to give little benefit. When set up correctly these can still hold there own with more modern offerings.
I had a quick look and EV still list them as a current model, showing that they've stood the test of time.
Cheers, Chris.
matt86ie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt86ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2022 at 1:42am
Thanks so much to everyone on taking time out to discuss this topic, yes it is a strange odd request I fully agree also I agree now I'm not going to gain anything by changing out the drivers, but finally it is true that these Sx300 EV speakers has certainly stood to their test of time, fired them up today and still sounding great, ideal for small venues definately and the 18" bin underneath,
I wonder can I actually use them with my Dynacord F8 Bin 🤔
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2022 at 9:17am
Yes - the SX200/300 are still great little boxes, sound good and have a decent coverage & SPL, but like most small cabs, really need a sub underneath. But absolutely no need to try and "upgrade" the drivers. They are obviously the optimum for the cab & filter.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply