Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&C Sub215 modded kicker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dokkodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B&C Sub215 modded kicker
    Posted: 30 January 2022 at 7:16pm
Ive seen a few posts around about the acceptability of reducing the depth of the B&C Sub15 BR design when using it as a kicker rather than sub. 

Ive just got a load of JBL 2226Hs for a song and i was going to build one sub15 per side to go between dual 15 ppsl subs and MT121s, but now i have the drivers, wondering whether to double up and use the Sub215 design instead. 

So my question would be, if its ok to lessen the depth of the Sub15 (which i wanted to do so that they fit better on my subs, and its more materially efficient) - i am assuming its ok to lessen the depth of the 215. Unfortunately im not profficient with any modelling software, but my understanding is i will lose low-end, which is ok as they will probably be crossed at 65 or over.

The alternative is to build lots of seperate sub 15s, which i suppose is more modular/flexible, but also more material and time.

It makes the stack about 8 foot/2.4m tall, hoping thats still alright to beam over everyones heads...
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 4:07am
I would think that a BPH horn like the many TurboSound designs would have more kick than a BR box. Remember on JBL 2226 woofers Red is Black and Black is Red. The DUMBEST thing JBL ever did......
Dokkodo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dokkodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 8:23am
I’ve been recommended to go reflex to maximise frequency range, as it’s only a smaller indoor system that seemed more appropriate 

Just found that thread on the F2b plans that surfaced, though no one simmed it for 2226s which makes me wonder if they’re appropriate 

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 9:23am
Mt121s are pretty deep and they're also not really a small indoor system. Do you already have them?
Dokkodo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dokkodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 10:15am
I don’t have them no, was going to build.
I had thought this, having had concerns about the narrowness of the mt121 field, but as it’s to be multi purpose system, indoor and outdoor, generally 300 or so crowd capacity, so was hoping for something that will perform reasonably well all round, I know there’s always compromise...
Very much open to input though, would you recommend reflex tops as well?
 Post Reply Post Reply