Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smaller sizes cabinets - is this a thing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote designalchemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smaller sizes cabinets - is this a thing?
    Posted: 01 February 2022 at 10:54pm
Hi all

Grew up going to free parties and i always was interested in the rigs
Decided for fun i would build a mini speaker, no expecting anything to sound good, but just for fun.

Fun projected and turned out pretty well 
Here is the final version 

https://imgur.com/a/19vc5tz

Iv plugged it in in place of my normal amp and honestly, it sounds much better than my current logitek speakers. 

This has got me thinking, if i make 5 of these with a 6 inch driver coxial and maybe 1 10 inch driver and connect to a 5.1 amp.

I have a few questions.

1. Is this going to sound shit ? 
2. Would it be too base heavy ? 
3. Is the cab design only for big subs ?
4. Does this make sense, am i being crazy here, if 1 sounds good, 5 would sound great?
5. Can you use scoop/horn design for full range speaker? 

Thanks for reading, this is a whole new world for me and even tho i have searched i havnt found any information, every is doing 18inch plans no talk of smaller.

rxs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rxs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2022 at 3:59pm
I thought that i was the insane one. You managed to take it little furter than me, i did a cardboard version and sounded sh”t. Still waiting the mood to gome back, to build wooden ones. 
Unfortunally i suck at hornresp so cant model any downscaled cabs, (micro W bin, scoops and so on)
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2022 at 3:40am
Originally posted by designalchemy designalchemy wrote:

Hi all
I have a few questions.

1. Is this going to sound shit ? 
2. Would it be too base heavy ? 
3. Is the cab design only for big subs ?
4. Does this make sense, am i being crazy here, if 1 sounds good, 5 would sound great?
5. Can you use scoop/horn design for full range speaker?

1. If one box sounds good then 4 or 5 should sound equally good.
2. Not likely.. the box isn't doing a whole lot at this scale.
3. Yes. The physics of loudspeaker loading is based on wavelengths of sound.. which is very long for sub frequencies, so very large boxes are required to get horn loading of any kind at low frequencies... regardless what drivers are used. 
4. Only one way to find out.
5. Yes, high efficiency home audio enthusiasts use all sorts of back loaded horn or transmission line designs with fullrange drivers, the box augments low frequency output while all mid-high output comes directly from the cone.  

Edited by Conanski - 29 April 2022 at 3:40am
 Post Reply Post Reply