Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crest CA6 buzzing transformer.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crest CA6 buzzing transformer.
    Posted: 09 February 2022 at 8:28pm
I recently bought 4 CA6s and a CA4 ex install and in a pretty sorry state. I checked that they all powered up and came out of protection before handing over the folding, but that's as much as I could do. I have dismantled all of them and cleaned everything, and they all power up fine but one has a fairly loud buzzing transformer. Would anyone know if this may cause a problem in the near future?

Edited by Lucasdude - 10 February 2022 at 12:54am
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2022 at 8:01am
Sounds like one of the windings is loose and vibrating? The old cure use to be dunk it in a pot of varnish overnight,and let dry for a week, other than that if it's really annoying,needs a replacement?
Be seeing you.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2022 at 8:57am
Unusual for a toroidal transformer to buzz much as they have a low radiated magnetic field by design. Check the fixing bolts are tight (I think the crest has one top and one bottom into a tapped nylon boss?). I assume the rest of the amp is working perfectly? A partially open circuit rectifier could theoretically cause a buzzing noise in the transformer, it was something I was taught but have never experienced it.
Worth checking the idle current consumption compared to a silent one in case the buzzing is the amp working hard at doing nothing.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2022 at 3:02pm
Thanks for the feedback. I've checked both the bolts and they are both tight. Sadly, I lack both the skills and test equipment to delve any further into the issue. Kev-a bit of a long shot, but would you know if the transformers between CA and Pro series are interchangeable? I've see a couple of old Renkus P2500s for sale as scrap. Any good to me?
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2022 at 3:40pm
sorry I have no idea but the CA range have been upgraded over the years and even 2 that look the same on the outside may not have the same innards exactly.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2022 at 4:18pm
Is it definitely a toroidal? I've never seen one of those "buzz", but plenty of the older laminated units dry out & the varnish/glue deteriorates and they buzz like crazy..

Or a short somewhere could be drawing excessive current & make the tranformer groan a bit. Try isolate the thing, ie unplug from the amp modules and then the bridge rectifier and see if the problem persists. Or maybe it's a leaky cap. An odd one.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply