Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage Converters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage Converters
    Posted: 20 February 2022 at 4:47pm
Does anyone have experience with voltage converters?

My main battery is LiFePo5 with ~11-13.4V...
  • I'm running a thomann 4x4 mini DSP from it.. needs 12V.
now i'm thinking if it makes sense to get aconverters who can give me stable output to run those things. i saw they use 'switching frequencies'. would it ad noise?

cheers
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2022 at 5:27pm
There is nothing more stable - or noiseless than a battery!

So why bother adding anything else - especially something that could add noise to your system? It will also waste energy.Really, don't bother!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2022 at 5:35pm
Its probably simplest to just use a dc to ac inverter and use the adaptor which came with the product, but if it's for a multi amp DC audio system then consider something like:-

Edited by Lucasdude - 20 February 2022 at 6:47pm
T6ss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T6ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2022 at 5:48pm
[QUOTE=Earplug]

So why bother adding anything else - especially something that could add noise to your system? It will also waste energy.Really, don't bother!  Smile

[/QUOTE 

This 100 %
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2022 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

I agree with this. I have used a fair selection of products in my van that were labelled as 12vcd/1a, the same as the 4x4 mini, at various voltages up to around 14v, and non of them broke. However, that's not to say that your 4x4 mini will be as tolerant so I'm not recommending you try it!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2022 at 9:14pm
I would be very surprised if it couldn't cope with a couple of Volts either side of 12V as it's going to be generating other supply rails internally anyway.  However a quick inspection of the internals by an electronic engineer would soon confirm either way.                                               

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 8:49am
Yes - there are some ics that operate at 5V, 3V, or even less that can be very sensitive to the supplied voltage and need regulators, but most of the stuff that works off 12V or 15V will happily take a couple of volts more (or less).

And most of the AC adaptors you get are "nominal", ie they are not going to give exactly 9V or 12V, etc.
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 9:58am
Should be good for 12V, +-3V.
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2022 at 9:59am
alright great answers! thanks guys, i will stick to my battery only solution! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply